Agile Project manager
Company & Department Context
The Financial Times is one of the world’s leading business news organisations, recognised internationally for its authority, integrity and accuracy. The FT has a record paying readership of one million, three-quarters of which are digital subscriptions. It is part of Nikkei Inc., which provides a broad range of information, news and services for the global business community.
We have offices in more than 35 cities, including London, New York, Hong Kong, Beijing, Manila, Sofia, San Francisco and Tokyo. Join us and find an inclusive and fast-paced environment with unique opportunities to support every step of your career.
This is an exciting opportunity for Delivery Project Manager to join the FT Core group as part of the Product & Technology organisation within FT.
FT Core brings together key digital assets like:
- Content and Metadata - enabling content publishing, discoverability and targeting
- Membership - powering a seamless subscription/payments/access and the whole newspaper distribution customer journeys
- Data Platform - enabling storing, processing and getting insights from readership data
You will be responsible for delivering value, fostering teamwork, measuring the team’s work, and removing any obstacles impeding delivery. With your clear, adaptive and transparent communication skills, you will facilitate teams to create vision and consensus. Finally you will be responsible for creating transparency for the stakeholders through communication and engagement.
In this role you will:
- Deliver value - Work with leadership team, business owners and teams to ensure that products & services are delivered effectively to realise measurable benefits.
- Facilitate team - Resolve conflict and disagreement. Lead workshops. Remove impediments that hold your team back. Help them make decisions. Promote continuous improvement, clarity and empowerment.
- Champion quality - Technical standards, service management, lean-agile best practices and principles.
- Create transparency - Clearly communicate and measure vision, schedule and progress within and outside of the teams.
- Build good governance - Manage and monitor resources and risks, proactively plan and take corrective action where necessary.
- Create vision and value - Help to define, shape and prioritise the vision, goals, initiatives and outcomes - seeking value, avoiding complexity.
- Manage 3rd parties - Manage and collaborate with 3rd parties to ensure they deliver effectively and that contracts are structured appropriately.
- Build community - Work to improve the FT’s Lean-Agile capability. Foster Lean-Agile knowledge, the supporting community and tools across the organisation
Person Specification (candidate profile)
You must be enthusiastic, proactive and be able to resolve conflict. The FT values empowerment and you must be able to steer a team towards self-organisation.
- Experience of managing delivery against measurable business outcomes
- Experience leading and coaching Lean-Agile teams
- A good understanding of Lean-Agile principles and multiple methodologies
- Strong experience of coaching Lean-Agile teams and individuals, workshop facilitation and structured problem solving
- Strong experience of digital product development
- A flexible approach to managing multiple teams & initiatives in parallel
- Proactive and an accomplished influencer - ability to negotiate with other programmes and teams to deliver work to fixed deadlines.
- Strong interpersonal, written and oral communication skills, with ability to present complex concepts clearly
- Comfortable with spoken and written English
- Technical background: understanding software development and web technologies and preferably hands-on experience
- An interest in continuous integration & transitioning to the cloud
- Experience in leading and developing a cross functional team
What’s in it for you? Our Benefits
We think the Financial Times is a great place to work: we have a technical stack that is cutting edge - employing cloud-based, microservices architectures and using a wide range of open source and commercial technologies; our product development methodologies are very current - using a data driven approach, empowering everyone to understand and to delight our customers; our engineers are free to choose the tools they need and are able to influence the development process. Importantly, we ensure staff also have the ability to achieve a good work life balance.
Our benefits vary depending on location, but we are committed to providing best in class perks across all our offices as well as an inclusive environment to develop your career. Examples of our benefits include; generous annual leave allowances, flexible working, medical cover, enhanced maternity & paternity packages and subsidised gym memberships. Full details of our benefits can be found here.
At the FT, we are committed to providing an inclusive working environment for all. We are an equal opportunities employer that seeks to recruit and appoint the best talent regardless of age, gender, ethnicity, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, socio-economic background, religion and/or belief. We also promote flexible working and will consider specific requests around flexibility for all roles where it can be accommodated. We aim to treat all employees in a fair and consistent manner, promote good working relationships to encourage high standards of conduct and performance within a work environment free from harassment, bullying and discrimination. Please let us know if you require any adjustments as part of the application process or to enable you to attend an interview. If you would like to discuss your requirements, or have any questions, please contact a member of our HR team who will be happy to help.