Airfield Transport Officer
This is a chance to build your career in an organisation that matters to millions. To join a city within a city – to create great experiences for the 210,000 (and counting) passengers who pass through our doors each day. Life with us means exploring unlimited opportunities. Making a real difference to people who are travelling to all sorts of places for all sorts of different reasons. And building a diverse community reflecting the passengers we serve.
When you join us as an Airfield Transport Officer, you’ll help us make every journey better. You’ll do that by keeping things moving under pressure – making sure planes are on schedule so passengers can be in the right place, at the right time. It’s a huge responsibility that impacts every area of our business. And it requires the diverse expertise of our colleagues, 24/7. So whether you’re improving our process efficiency, monitoring aircraft movements or overseeing safety measures, your role will be vital to our smooth-running. You’ll need to be dedicated and calm to join our buzzing environment. It’s where you’ll take on important responsibilities that make this an exciting place to develop your career.
Join Heathrow and be an incredibly important part of the 80 million passenger journeys we make happen each year.
Your role will involve:
- Driving and operating a varied fleet of specialist and complex vehicles/machinery in support of the airfield operation
- Operating equipment on the road networks: airside and landside, live taxiways and on occasion runways following safe systems of work
- Maintaining a safe working environment for yourself and others whilst maintaining radio contact with both ground Air Traffic Control and the Airfield Operations Control Room
- Undertaking the appropriate level of first use inspection of any vehicles to be used, ensuring that all controls are serviceable and vehicles/equipment are safe
- Acting as first line responders for safety events ensuring that incident and accident event logging is completed, and escalates to the Senior Airfield Officer as necessary
- Shift work; working both days and nights
These skills are essential:
- Excellent driving ability with experience of operating specialist equipment attached to vehicles
- A current large goods vehicle licence to category C and ability to maintain an A/M Airside Driving Permit is mandatory
- A driver certificate of professional competence Is mandatory
Ideally, you’ll also have:
- Knowledge of load weight and due consideration of the environment in which the equipment is being operated
- Experience of following procedures and instruction in accordance with Operations Safety Instructions, regulatory requirements and relevant risk assessments
As well as competitive salaries, we’re committed to providing a whole host of great benefits that make this an even more rewarding place to work. They include an excellent pension scheme, life assurance, access to private health insurance and a share in our success scheme. Not only that, when you get here, we’ll nurture your skills and do all we can to help you reach your full potential.
A career with us also means being part of an organisation that cares about the community. Our plan is to meet growing passenger demand in a sustainable way that creates a positive impact on our community – and the environment. That’s why, by 2030, we want at least half of all journeys to the airport to be made by public and sustainable transport. We have a range of initiatives designed to help people to get to and from work sustainably, from subsidised public transport through to car sharing and a Cycle to Work scheme.
Join us, and you’ll have everything you need to succeed and explore the countless career destinations that are available here.
As an equal opportunities employer, we encourage applications from a diverse range of individuals. We believe that diverse talent makes us stronger – not least because we welcome passengers from all corners of the globe, every single day. At Heathrow we’re an accessible place to work, driven by inclusivity and celebrating individuality. For more information, please visit our diversity & inclusion page.