Assistant Technical Analyst
Founded in 1934, PPL is the UK music industry’s collective management organisation (CMO) for over 110,000 performers and record companies. We license recorded music in the UK when it is played in public (shops, bars, nightclubs, offices etc.) or broadcast (BBC, commercial radio, commercial TV etc.) and ensure that revenue flows back to our members. These include both independent and major record companies, together with performers ranging from emerging grassroots artists through to established session musicians and globally renowned artists. PPL’s public performance licensing is carried out on PPL’s behalf by PPL PRS, the joint venture between PPL and PRS for Music.
We also collect performance rights internationally when music is played overseas in public and used on TV, radio and some online streaming services, as well as for private copying. In 2019 we collected £86.7 million, in part thanks to our network of over 95 agreements with CMOs around the world. International revenues are an increasingly important revenue stream for performers and recording rightsholders. In 2019 we collected £271.8 million while also distributing money to over 119,000 performers and recording rightsholders.
PPL’s Music Reporting Team
PPL’s Music Reporting Services team within our Repertoire Department processes datasets relating to music use around the world, and this role supports the processing, analysing, and understanding of this data.
PPL continue to follow the government guidance regarding COVID-19 with the priority of keeping of employees safe and well. PPL employees are currently working remotely. We will adopt a remote recruitment and on boarding process for this role and expect it to be based remotely until government guidance changes, at which point office working will be required. This can be discussed on a case by case basis.
What you’ll be doing:
The Assistant Technical Analyst role is an entry-level position in PPL’s Repertoire department. Working under the direction of the International Repertoire Operations Lead, the role offers an opportunity for you to develop and acquire new data handling skills and experience, and to learn about the ways in which music usage is licensed and reported around the world. In this role you will help us to ‘see through the noise’, presenting key information and delivering technical solutions to internal and external customers. In liaison with PPL’s International team and other colleagues, you will facilitate the efficient receipt, validation, cleansing, transformation, matching and reporting of large and complex music industry datasets, through the use of Excel and other analytical tools.
Duties and responsibilities:
· Working with the International Repertoire Operations Lead you will transform incoming music use datasets into standardised and workable format, validate and, where appropriate, address the quality deficiencies of files and datasets
· Manipulating large and complex music use data sets in efficient manners
- Running utilities and tools in order to coordinate activities such as matching reported music usage to recordings on PPL’s Repertoire database;
· Running standard reporting using Microsoft BI tools to enrich matched datasets with key attributes from the PPL Repertoire, Member Management, Rights and Distribution databases
· Formatting outgoing datasets into agreed standard data exchange formats
· Researching music performer and rights holder information via internal databases and web search, to support accurate claim and payment of international revenues
· Enabling regular reporting on Music Reporting activities, milestones and priorities to internal stakeholders and service teams;
· Identifying and escalating issues that will impact on service delivery or quality in a timely manner
· Analysing and understanding issues, anomalies, patterns and trends in data
· Monitoring and reporting on data quality variables that influence the success of data processing service, as well as impacting the International team’s ability to drive revenues in, through
· Experience of working in a complex, high volume, data analysis and reporting environment
· Experience in using the Microsoft BI stack or other BI software (e.g. Qlikview or Tableau) is preferred but not essential
· Experience or an interest in data visualization and/or working with international datasets would also be beneficial but not essential
· A high level of computer literacy is required alongside advanced Excel skills
· Good attention to detail is required alongside a good eye for spotting anomalies and patterns in data
· Excellent written and verbal communication skills
· The ability to communicate complex information in a concise and simplified manner
What we can offer you
When you come on board at PPL you can expect to be rewarded for your hard work. Employees are entitled to a wide range of benefits which support their needs and lifestyles including Private medical care, cycle to work scheme, flexible working hours, £120 annually to be spent on music and many more!
If this sounds like you, then we’d love to hear from you! Please click the ‘Apply Now’
Equality and Diversity at PPL
PPL are committed to equal opportunities, diversity and inclusivity, therefore we welcome and encourage applicants from all sections of the community.
Here at PPL we are proud to operate in a genuine, open and straightforward way while continuing to maximise all opportunities as they arise striving to represent PPL’s members. Our job is to protect our members’ rights, and make sure their talent and investment is rewarded fairly. We take an entrepreneurial approach, working together to create new ways to deliver better service and solve business challenges. Collaboration creates great things; everyone’s talent deserves recognition and each of our members is important to us. We are the professional face for our clients. We serve with a smile and go the extra mile when representing them. We share a passion for music – that’s why we do what we do.
Unfortunately, due to the high number of application received for every role here at PPL we are only able to contact candidates we’d like to progress to interview stage