Associate Director, Scientific Strategy - Medical Strategy and Education
Posted: 7 Jan 2022 Closes: 11 Feb 2022
Who we are
Langland, a Publicis Health company, is the only health communications agency that thinks further across Clinical Trial Experience, Medical Strategy & Education, Public Relations & Policy, and Advertising, to create unique value with visionary clients.
What we believe
Health brings us together. In the diseases we suffer, the medicines we create, and the causes we champion, health shows us our collective humanity. When we break the barriers that divide us, when we think further, we can create healthier futures, together.
A passion for craft
Having expert thinking is only part of our story. To ensure excellence in everything we make, we have centred our disciplines around three essential crafts: science, strategy and creativity.
Who you are
I am a senior team member with significant expertise in strategic medical communications. I bring a holistic approach to developing and implementing the scientific strategy for a product, considering a broad range of perspectives as well as previous experience from multiple accounts. I mentor and develop the [senior] scientific strategists and engage the broader Langland team to identify areas for involvement of the scientific strategy team.
The Associate Director of Scientific Strategy is the lead scientific strategist on key client accounts, responsible for the development of scientific strategy with minimal senior support. In this role, you will create and implement the scientific strategy for individual products or across product portfolios, particularly where an integrated approach is required. You will champion best practice in developing scientific and medical affairs strategy and proactively identify opportunities for active involvement by the scientific strategy team.
You will be an experienced people manager, with one or more direct report as well as advising the wider team on the value that scientific strategy offers in providing robust solutions to client challenges.
You build influential relationships across the internal Langland and PH network, clients and external experts, which you can leverage for insights and/or business opportunities. You will identify new and innovative opportunities for business growth based on strategic insights and your network, as well as leading the scientific strategy for MSE pitches and playing a key role in integrated pitches.
What you will do
• Act as the go-to person for defining and championing the scientific strategy for accounts (product or portfolio) and how that is applied across the communication disciplines
• Lead the development of scientific strategy and broader communications strategy for key accounts
• Proactively identify challenges and threats for brands and advise clients on how to evolve medical and brand plans accordingly
• Lead the development of strategically focused projects with minimal senior support and build strategic plans based on insights and strategic workshops
• Oversee all deliverables from a scientific strategy perspective to ensure alignment with medical and commercial goals
• Build influential internal, client and external expert relationships that you can leverage for insights
• Provide training to broader scientific team on scientific strategy and embed understanding of scientific strategy capabilities within Langland
• Identify new and innovative opportunities for business growth through networking across Langland and PH and based on strategic insights, as well as quickly identify organic growth opportunities
Lead scientific strategy approach for MSE/integrated new business proposals and confidently cross-sells support from other Langland disciplines
• Proficient at interpreting and communicating complex science (you should hold at least a bachelor's degree in the life sciences [2:1 or above]
• Partnership building with stakeholders
• Exceptional verbal and written communication skills and negotiation skills
• Strong leadership skills
• Confident people manager, able to upskill and develop team members
• Creative: willing to sensitively challenge the status quo
• Strategic: able to understand the big picture as well as the fine details
• Proactive: able to organize and drive your own work
• Communicative: eager to work with others in an integrated team
• Significant experience within a medical communications agency or an in-house pharma med comms team, demonstrating:
• Proficiency in developing strategic medical and brand plans and creating and executing strategic workshops
• Effectiveness in developing and evolving a brand scientific strategy based on insights and multiple perspectives
• Ability to develop innovative/bespoke solutions to address strategic challenges
• Ability to motivate and develop individuals and teams
• Influential internal, client and expert relationships
• Ability to deliver compelling verbal and written communications and clear articulation of the desired vision and direction of travel
An inclusive workplace
The more diverse our team, the more imaginative, intelligent and inspirational our culture and our work will become. Here are some of the ways we help promote diversity at Langland.
• Diversity & Inclusion management
• Anonymised CV submissions
• Mandatory unconscious bias training
• Career and school programmes to build industry access for people from mixed socio-economic backgrounds
• Support communities for women, LGBTQ+, BAME employees and their allies.
• A mental health programme which includes free HeadSpace membership.
Publicis Groupe has committed €45 million to diversity, inclusion and social injustice within the network