Associate Legal Counsel - Innovations
We're a global charitable foundation, both politically and financially independent. We support researchers, take on big health challenges, campaign for better science, and help everyone get involved with science and health research. In the next five years, we aim to spend up to £5 billion helping thousands of curious, passionate people all over the world explore ideas in science, population health, medical innovation, the humanities and social sciences and public engagement.
Wellcome is a politically and financially independent foundation.
Our founder, Sir Henry Wellcome, was a medical entrepreneur, collector and philanthropist. How we work today reflects the breadth of his interests, and his conviction that health can be improved when research generates, tests and investigates new ideas. Our governance is based on an updated version of Henry's will.
We're always looking to improve, developing ourselves and our resilience, while keeping work and life in balance.
Our Legal Innovations team is looking to hire an Associate Legal Counsel.
The successful candidate will:
- Provide high quality commercial intellectual property ("IP") and legal advice to Wellcome across its wide-ranging research funding and other charitable activities.
- Drafting and reviewing legal documents (primarily new grant funding agreements and PRI's) and providing advice to colleagues in the Innovations division of Wellcome.
- Providing advice as required when new issues arise under current and historic research Funding agreements, including consents to commercialise IP, revenue and equity sharing and loan conversions.
- Helping other teams across Wellcome on IP related matters, principally copyright (but also some trade marks) and issues relating to the application of Wellcome's IP related grant conditions and our policies on IP and Revenue and equity sharing.
- Research and horizon-scanning into legal areas relevant to Wellcome's activities and supporting presentations and training within the Legal team and to the wider organisation.
- Taking responsibility for management of own legal matters.
- Assisting more senior members of the Legal team on cross Wellcome strategic projects and other projects, where required.
- Experience of working in-house or private practice.
- Experience of drafting and negotiating commercial IP contracts.
- Good working knowledge of copyright law.
- Excellent drafting, research and analysis skills.
- Strong project management and organisational skills.
- Ability to multi-task and work to tight deadlines with limited supervision
Education and Qualifications
- Qualified as a UK solicitor. By way of indication, this role would be suited to someone around the 2-3 year PQE mark.
Diversity and Inclusion is a priority at Wellcome. We are committed to cultivating a fair and healthy environment, where everyone can be themselves and thrive. We are happy to discuss flexible working options for all roles. We work to ensure that our recruitment processes are as inclusive as possible to everyone. This includes making adjustments for people who have a disability or long-term condition. If you would like us to make adjustments during the application process, please contact us at .
Applications to be received by 1159pm on 01-Mar-2020