Automation Test Manager (OSS/BSS/Mobile App)
At Motorola Solutions, we create technologies our customers refer to as their lifeline. Our technology platforms in communications, software, video and services help our customers work safely and more efficiently. Whether it’s helping firefighters see through smoke, enabling police officers to see around street corners, or reliably keeping the lights on in homes and businesses around the world, our work supports those who put their lives on the line to keep us safe. Bring your passion, potential and talents to Motorola Solutions, and help us usher in a new era in public safety and security.
Motorola Solutions is a leading global Public Safety and Government communications technology solutions provider. Through our dedication to customer-centric innovation and strong partnerships, we have established end-to-end advantages in Public Safety networks, devices and applications. We are committed to creating maximum value for our customers by providing competitive solutions and services.
The Motorola ESN delivery team is responsible for the delivery of all technology and services for the ‘User Service’ part of ESMCP programme. The role is part of a multi-site team working with Customers, ESN Suppliers, UK Managed Services and other internal/external stakeholders.
PLEASE NOTE THIS ROLE IS FOR A FIXED TERM CONTRACT (EMPLOYED)
The main purpose of the role is to:
- Deliver OSS/BSS/Mobile Applications Test Automation frameworks for all regressions areas of various systems within the domain by providing the thought structure and guidance to the test team to ensure the optimal test automation strategy is adopted and the required test coverage is in place for OSS/BSS Systems.
- Delivers architecture design for testing automation and tooling related to BSS/OSS/Mobile Application Systems to ensure frameworks are modular and scalable across multiple environments.
- Define and delivery daily automation test reports across multiple test environments for all regression areas across the test estate.
- Manage work packages with 3’rd party suppliers
- Be the advocate for automated testing throughout the technology stack
- Act as a technical expert on test automation, developing solutions and driving innovation to ensure the testing automation’s strategy goals are met
- Recommend product improvements in area of hardware / software architecture to ensure design for serviceability and testability are in place
- Employ Agile, DevOps and RBT test approaches in practice in all aspects of the test organisation
- Drive quality improvements and our speed to market.
- Automation Team Line Management / Performance and Goal Management
- Drive cost savings across the test organisation practices through the efficient implementation of automation tools wherever possible
- The role will report to the Head of Test.
- Works closely with Solution Architects, Product Managers, Test Managers and Leads
- Works closely with Client, Partner, Managed Services and Supplier Test Managers in Automation capacity
- Works closely with the Programme Test Manager and the commercial teams to create , scrutinize and select suppliers for automation tooling requirements
The key responsibilities
- Delivery Automation goals for OSS/BSS/Mobile Applications.
- Develop, promote and provide a clear OSS/BSS Automation strategy/delivery.
- Guide and coach a highly efficient test team and grow its Automation capability to achieve the best blend of automation and specialist skills
- Mentor and upskill manual test teams.
- Support the Programme Test Manager in achieving strategic goals of Automation.
- Communicate, coordinate and align test strategy with the design and engineering team members, make recommendations to improve reliability, performance, best practices and processes.
- Willing to take calculated risks, experiment, and explore new ways
- Evolve our testing architecture and automation harness, with a focus on optimising test durations for regressions across multiple environments.
- Establish scalable automation framework for our API and UI platforms, enabling teams to improve test automation reliability and coverage.
- Working with the wider design and implementation community to stay current with evolving processes, tools and methods.
- Effective collaboration and co-working with all other ESN Suppliers, Partners and Client.
- Drive the risk based testing approach ensuring the effort and coverage is applied in the right areas.
- Ensure testing is operationally relevant as far as possible.
- Support investigations of high profile PSCS/LTE technical issues.
- QA test environment design, configuration and deployment
- Focus on continuous regression optimizations
- Make technical decisions in categorizing issues and escalate it to the senior members, when required
- Support issue prevention initiatives e.g. reviews, inspection and analysis of complex designs
- Analyse and sequence right tests to ensure high profile issues are detected early on in the delivery cycle, minimizing the risk of test escapes to live
- Minimize overall test cycle turnaround times
- Work with the Test Issue Manager to define improvements as required and capture requirements for automation across various OSS and BSS workstreams
- Guide Test Coverage Process Improvement using key data points from live.
- Support Program & Operations teams in developing troubleshooting tools, processes and skills
- Manage the Automation Release , Code and Configuration Management
The following skills are considered essential:
- proven experience in delivering complex Automation frameworks.
- Understanding and insight in 3GPP 4G (RAN and core network) & MCPTX specifications and OSS/BSS Architectures
- Skilled in Release, Code (GIT) and Configurations Management tools
- Proven track record for the implementation of an automation framework through the Behaviour Driven Development (BDD) process across different phases of testing including automated test reporting
- Skilled in the implementation of an effective automated process for triaging, reporting and analysing the test execution issues using DevOps communication tools such as Slack etc with automated VoiceAI and other AI tools
- Track record in creating an integrated environment for automated testing with the CI/CD automated process (Jenkins tool) for continuous Integration enabling a truly agile testing model.
- Expert in the test execution automation for interface level testing through Application programming Interface (API) to verify the functionality, reliability, performance and security of the application including the parameterization, messaging, assertion, virtualization reporting through SOAPUI and other tools
- Test architect in creating an automation test practice in an integrated environment using AI and Cognitive tools
- Deep Automation test architecture expertise and proven track of implementing automation framework
- Expertise in public safety telecommunications
- Experience in Project Planning and Delivery of complex OSS and BSS projects in an integrated environment
- Able to summarise and simplify complex technical topics for very senior stakeholders (director level and above).
- The stakeholder management of senior stakeholders
- Initiative, creative, flexible and analytical
- Applies beyond standard approach to solve problems
- Several years of experience in Integration and testing of complex multi-vendor deployments
- Ability to communicate and co-operate with other people in various situations
Decision making and Accountability:
- Accountable for ensuring Automation test strategy is place for all products.
- Accountable to ensure MSI have the correct Automation test coverage.
- Responsible for meeting test automation goals,
- Responsible for high profile test automation demos to SLT
- Responsible for creating an automation framework with resources and tools across the technology test organisation
- Responsible for bringing in innovation for the automation test practices using the AI and Cognitive tools
- An Engineering degree or equivalent qualification.
- Holds a relevant professional qualification e.g.ISTQB (International Software Testing Qualification Board)
- Holds any relevant IT qualifications e.g. the ITIL Foundation certificate, Project Management (e.g. Prince 2)
PLEASE NOTE: In order to apply successfully, you must be eligible to live and work in the EU and the candidate will ideally already hold a current UK Security Clearance, or be willing to undergo Security vetting, following a Baseline Personnel Security Screening (BPSS) check.