Backend Engineer (Data Labs)
We are seeking an experienced Backend Engineer to join the engineering team in Wellcome Data Labs.
In this role, you will design and build data products that serve Wellcome's mission to improve health by helping great ideas thrive. You will work inside Wellcome Data Labs, a cross-functional team of engineers, data scientists, and social scientists, whose charter is to provide innovative data solutions to meet the needs of both Wellcome and the larger public
In this job, you will:
- Build and operate great data products, for use by Wellcome, other organizations, and the general public,
- Design systems that use both structured and unstructured data, together with various machine learning methods,
- Work in a diverse team of data scientists, data engineers, social scientists, and others to deliver quality software,
- Mentor, share technical knowledge, and provide guidance to technical and non-technical team members, and
- Communicate effectively with managers, scientists, partners, product owners, and your fellow team members.
To succeed in this role, you should have:
- Strong experience developing in a language such as Python, Go, or Java,
- Strong experience building reliable data and web services,
- Experience deploying services into AWS or Google Cloud Platform, ideally with Kubernetes, and
- Good familiarity with Site Reliability Engineering (SRE) practices, including testing, monitoring, automation, and prioritization of internal work.
An ideal candidate would also have:
- Experience deploying and using data persistence services such as PostgreSQL, ElasticSearch, Amazon Redshift, or Google BigQuery,
- Experience deploying and using applications powered by distributed data processing services such as Spark or Google Cloud TPU,
- Familiarity with common data science and ML tools such as pandas and sklearn, and
- Experience developing and operating extract-transform-load pipelines, for instance using Apache Airflow, Luigi, or Kafka.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis until role is filled
Diversity and Inclusion is a priority at Wellcome. We are committed to cultivating a fair and healthy environment, where everyone can be themselves and thrive. We are happy to discuss flexible working options for all roles. We work to ensure that our recruitment processes are as inclusive as possible to everyone. This includes making adjustments for people who have a disability or long-term condition. If you would like us to make adjustments during the application process, please contact us at