Beauty & Personal Care Science & Technology Biotechnologist
The Science and Technology (S&T) pillar in Unilever is charged with the delivery of breakthrough technologies and differentiated innovations to meet the needs of our consumers around the world. We are developing new materials to provide functional benefits that out-perform the competition and build equity for our leading brands.
Surface Engineering (SE) is a Beauty and Personal Care (BPC) S&T Platform, employing materials chemistry and physics to cosmetically modify, repair or enhance the body’s substrates. Innovations are delivered through a combination of internal capability and external partnerships, leveraging the rapid pace of scientific development in the external world.
Recognizing the need to address climate change and necessity for safer ingredients, consumers increasingly demand sustainable solutions to deliver their products. The rapid development of industrial biotechnology over the past decade is enabling the delivery of more sustainable alternatives to our current BPC ingredients, produced from renewable feedstocks such as sugar and waste stream biomass.
An opportunity has arisen for a PhD-qualified biotechnologist to join our team at Port Sunlight, reporting to the S&T Big Bet Leader for Verdant Materials within the SE team. The role holder will drive the delivery of a steady stream of new biotechnology-derived ingredients into the category programmes through establishing and leading effective collaborations with both academic and commercial partners.
Programme delivery: As part of the SE S&T programme, lead biotechnology workstreams in projects to develop sustainable ingredients for use within BPC categories. External networks and resources: Build an effective external network, leveraging the best of both academia and industry to enable effective development of biotechnology processes for material production. Science capability build: Provide thought leadership in the utilisation of biotechnology for the delivery of future BPC ingredients. Seek to embed skills in biotechnology for ingredient development within BPC S&T teams. Business Relationships: Build and maintain effective working relationships with project teams, Surface Engineering, programme stakeholders and relevant subject experts in Unilever. People/Skills Development: Provide technical leadership and guidance in own area and develop own skills. Be proactive in taking responsibility for delivering the Surface Engineering agenda. Experience of managing people (line management or work stream management) desirable.
- PhD in Molecular Biology, Biochemistry or other biotechnology-related field.
- Proven expertise in biotechnology industry or closely related area, with excellent knowledge of the current state of the art within the field.
- An in-depth knowledge of the relevant analytical techniques for the characterisation of biotechnology products and processes is desirable
- Proven ability to manage biotechnology projects to develop new materials, including both technical and stakeholder management.
- Proven ability to work collaboratively with both internal and external partners for new technology development.
- Proven ability to manage project teams.
- Ability to effectively balance multiple concurrent activities and deliver to established deadlines.
- Fluent spoken and written English.