At Motorola Solutions, we create technologies our customers refer to as their lifeline. Our technology platforms in communications, software, video and services help our customers work safely and more efficiently. Whether it’s helping firefighters see through smoke, enabling police officers to see around street corners, or reliably keeping the lights on in homes and businesses around the world, our work supports those who put their lives on the line to keep us safe. Bring your passion, potential and talents to Motorola Solutions, and help us usher in a new era in public safety and security.
The purpose of the Business Analyst is to ensure that all work being undertaken across the business follows a single process for the correct level of approval to ensure efficiencies of OWC and Opex. The Business Analyst provides a link between the organisation and delivery functions to bridge the gap between an idea and a fully-fledged project.
Location - Flexible; Rugby, London, Hemel or Home worker
Job Purpose/ Key Responsibilities:
The Business Analyst will provide a planning and requirements definition function to areas of the business that do not have these skills removing the demand for a Project Manager to undertake these activities or for these activities to be neglected. The Business Analyst will ensure that the requirements for each activity are of good quality and can be tracked through the life of the activity.
The Business Analyst will be key in defining medium to large pieces of work across the business ensuring consistency of requests and the correct level of approval/visibility.
The Business Analyst will provide the PMO with a clearer picture of radar requirements to enable more efficient demand planning.
The Business Analyst will ensure that every project accepted into the P&D portfolio has an acceptable Business Case with clear requirements, high level timelines and resource estimates. The Business Analyst will also be key to understanding key risks, opportunities and dependencies for new project work.
This role will be responsible for ensuring requests for change and more specifically requests for project delivery are adequately defined in terms of requirements and approved ahead of acceptance into the P&D portfolio. The role will provide resource estimates for pre-project periods and enable initiation activities to be captured in the OWC forecasts. The role will ensure the PMO is able to build up an accurate resource profile for key teams across BAU/Non-managed projects and pre-project activities.
The role will provide a service to the organisation to aid in the development of Business Cases for activities and projects ahead of formal commission.
This role will be business focused - providing a service internally to operational teams.
The Business Analyst will engage with the Business Change Process, the Airwave Prioritisation Process, the Resource Management Process, the Airwave PPM processes and potentially the MSUK Design Process and the Motorola Bid and Quote process,.
Knowledge, Technical Skills & Experience required
To manage the administration of the Business Change Process to ensure
- Requests are fully scoped and have enough detail to enable the correct approvals (Finance/Resource Areas/PMO).
- Requests are handled quickly and efficiently to ensure a smooth process with clear communication with the requester.
- Requesters have support in undertaking requirements analysis and definition exercises and carrying out high level project planning.
- Requests can be submitted for prioritisation via the Prioritisation Board with adequate detail for senior management to make decisions.
- Requests received by the P&D team to initiate projects have enough detail for Project Managers to undertake detailed planning and that key risks, opportunities and dependencies have been identified.
- Sponsors are engaged and budget requirements are in place and approved with the Finance team.
- To work with the PMO Lead to provide a view of radar items along with a backlog of projects awaiting approval through the Capex planning process.
- To work with the PMO Lead to understand the total demand in Key Resource Areas and highlight new work requests which may lead to contentions.
- To provide administrative support to the Airwave Prioritisation Board including the submission of new requests and recording approvals including dates, resources and finances associated with that approval.
- Provide monitoring of Requirements and Benefits expected to be delivered by project work by means of attending quarterly review meetings and project closure sessions.
- Use Lessons Learned documentation to guide requirements definition activities and planning and look for opportunities for improvement throughout the process.
- To provide a service to the organisation in terms of requirements definition, analysis and planning. This includes areas such as Technical Design, IT, Service Management and Sales.
- The role will work closely with these areas to aid in the definition of projects and activities ahead of formal handover to the P&D team for delivery.
Core Competencies/ Personal Profile:
- Self-driven, results-oriented with a positive outlook, keen for new experiences and responsibilities with a clear focus on high quality and operational efficiency.
- Enthusiastic for change and process improvements. Able to motivate and encourage team members and process stakeholders.
- A natural forward planner who is proactive, tenacious and self-driven in achieving goals and objectives.
- Balanced, considerate, credible, a team player who is comfortable in dealing with key stakeholders of the role. i.e. Reliable, tolerant, approachable and determined.
- Empathetic communicator, able to see things from the other person's point of view.
- Holistic thinker, able to see the big picture and understand the impact their work has on the wider business.
- Well-presented and business-like. Sufficiently mobile and flexible to travel up to a few days a month within the UK.
- A natural problem solver and logical thinker.
- Trained and experienced in MS Word, Excel and Powerpoint
- Knowledge of Clarity or other planning tools such as Microsoft Project would be advantageous.
- Other technical expertise, experience and knowledge
- Previous experience of requirements analysis especially in a technical environment.
- Able to bridge the gap between technical and operational teams to ensure the requirements of each are defined correctly.
- Experience of high level planning techniques and documentation writing.
- Experience of analysing business processes and continuous improvement activities.
- Strong process skills - clear thinker, practical with attention to detail and good administration skills.
- Proven record of being self-motivated self-confident and ability to use initiative.
- Proven record of being able to build relationships and motivate team members.
- Ability to identify risks and issues and provide avoidance mitigation and solutions.
- Experience in evaluating and implementing process improvements to improve project workflow and target more effective delivery.
‘We are an equal opportunities employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.’
CONNECT WITH A CAREER THAT MATTERS
We’re dedicated to designing and delivering the mission-critical ecosystem our public safety & enterprise customers refer to as their lifeline - mission-critical communications, software, video and services. Our drive for continuous innovation and partnership with our customers enables them to be ready - in the day-to-day moments, and in the moments that matter most.