Business Development Analyst
We are a global energy business involved in every aspect of the energy system. We have 75,000 employees in 80 countries, working towards delivering light, heat and mobility to millions of people, every day.
As part of BP's response to the dual challenge of providing more energy with fewer emissions, a new Integrated Gas & Power (IGP) business was established, effective January 2019, in order develop material positions across five customer demand segments - industry, power, transport, city gas, and retail gas and power.
Our IGP business will initially sit within Integrated Supply & Trading (IST), with a mandate to secure long-term demand for gas, to develop integrated customer offers and to capture downstream gas and power margins which are adjacent to BP's existing businesses. We will be supported by the leadership team within Group (in the form of Deputy CEO sponsorship) and BP Segments to ensure strategic alignment, and to support capex investments and deliver integrated solutions to host governments in BP's key markets.
The Business Development Analyst will sit within the Projects and Commercialisation team and work closely with Origination and JV partners on the development of specific deal opportunities. Specifically, the Business Development Analyst will ensure budget costs used to support investment cases are reasonable.
- Be an active and influential member of deal/project delivery teams liaising with originators and project managers to support the development of financial analysis of infrastructure projects and business prospects
- Prepare and manage Appraise, Select and Define stage project budgets and associated financial models.
- Liaise closely with JV entities and partners to review infrastructure financial models and ensure consistency with approved budgets.
- Provide interface with Structuring team to ensure consistency between EEM models, LNG Portfolio Model and JVs financial models
- Respond to day-to-day queries raised by JV partners/internal stakeholders in respect of the financial model
- Work alongside Engineering Team to develop high level cost estimates for Infrastructure projects
- Provide consistency in compilation of budgets and benchmark project budgets within IGP and the wider BP group.
- Support commercial strategies by providing financial and sensitivity analysis, e.g. for power auctions and RFPs (Request For Proposals).
- Support the economic valuation of new infrastructure investments and support the selection of equity partners through financial analysis and long-term projections
- Develop and maintain project schedules showing key internal and external activities plus critical path activities and milestones.
Essential experience and job requirements
- Strong financial modelling experience and excel skills, ideally on infrastructure projects
- Good experience of managing power & infrastructure finance model build and launch process and experience of managing the various stakeholders with respect to the model
- Solid background in financial analysis and project cost estimates
- Good grasp of financial accounting combined with a level of business awareness and a strong understanding of the kind of factors that can drive the financial performance of an infrastructure project.
- Good grasp of valuation analysis and Discounted Cash Flow Methodology
- Ability to challenge conventional methods of working, examine multiple options and take on innovative & new solutions
- Well-developed team working and interpersonal skills and ability to work in a diverse team with minimum guidance
- Excellent organisational, planning, written and oral communication skills and ability to communicate effectively with decision-makers and non-specialists
- Ability to build networks to enhance effectiveness and share knowledge, building trust and confidence to support efficient progress with action items
- Written and oral fluency in English
Desirable criteria and qualifications
- Experience of working on LNG to power and Gas to power projects
- Experience of Project Financing, including preparation of financial models
- Fluency in Portuguese desirable, but not essential
See Job Description