Business Development Manager, West Coast
The Financial Times, one of the world’s leading business news organizations, is recognized internationally for its authority, integrity and accuracy. With over 2 million readers daily, the FT reaches a global audience of senior decision-makers who rely on our coverage to inform their views on the political, economic and social forces shaping the business world.
We have offices in more than 35 cities, including London, New York, Hong Kong, Beijing, Manila, Sofia, San Francisco, and Tokyo. Join us and find an inclusive and fast-paced environment with unique opportunities to support every step of your career.
Learn more about the FT, including announcements and career opportunities, at aboutus.ft.com.
The B2B division is responsible for licensing the FT’s content to organizations around the world and offers information solutions ranging from group and enterprise subscriptions to customized data feeds.
We are seeking an experienced and highly driven business development manager to help us continue our West Coast expansion. As the West Coast is one of the fastest growing markets for the B2B department, the role offers lots of growth potential for the right candidate. It will entail selling corporate licenses to small and medium businesses across all sectors, with a particular focus on financial services, tech and education. The business development manager will be required to develop and execute a strategic sales plan targeting a number of sectors and will be supported by a San Francisco-based sales development representative.
The candidate will have the choice to work flexibly, splitting their time between home and our downtown San Francisco bureau as desired. An independent self-starter with an entrepreneurial spirit, tenacity and the desire to commit to a multi-year growth strategy is most likely to succeed in the role. The B2B team is diverse, multicultural and highly collaborative which we believe makes it a great place to work.
What You Will Be Responsible For
● To personally be responsible for the achievement of the annual new business target.
● To be responsible for the development and implementation of strategic sales plan for the region.
● To manage the assigned travel budget effectively in order to meet face-to-face with the highest number of new business prospects.
● To work closely with the marketing team and help prioritise and drive activities that will support the achievement of the new business target.
● To work closely with the customer success team to plan activities that will drive new business.
● To prioritise face to face meetings with new prospects to build strong relationships at a senior level and with other stakeholders within the company.
● To represent the FT at relevant industry events in order to establish contacts and gain insights on sector trends.
● To document all sales activity in Salesforce
The Skills/Experience You Need To Be Successful In This Role
● Track record in developing new business and exceeding revenue targets.
● Experience in solution based sales, ideally in the online information industry.
● Experience in selling to senior management.
● Excellent presentation and communication skills and the ability to speak with confidence about the value proposition.
● Ability to work remotely and self-motivate.
● High level of initiative, motivation and ability to network both internally and externally to identify business opportunities.
● Well-developed influencing skills to gain commitment from clients and internal colleagues.
● Previous experience selling into the financial services or tech sectors would be advantageous.
What’s In It For You? Our Benefits and Culture
Generous paid time off
Comprehensive health, vision, dental, and life & disability insurance
Competitive 401k and company match, Flexible Spending Account (FSA) and commuter benefits
Paid parental leave (maternity & paternity)
Employee Wellbeing Services
Employee-Led Networks which promote and celebrate diversity and inclusion in our workplace by connecting, engaging, and empowering individuals across the organization
Other great perks such as flexible working, summer Friday’s, volunteer days and company events
At the FT, we know our most valuable resources are our people and we embrace our employees’ unique skills, experiences, and perspectives. We are committed to providing an inclusive working environment for all. We are an equal opportunities employer that seeks to recruit and appoint the best talent regardless of age, gender, ethnicity, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, socio-economic background, religion and/or belief. We also promote flexible working and will consider specific requests around flexibility for all roles where it can be accommodated. We aim to treat all employees in a fair and consistent manner, promote good working relationships to encourage high standards of conduct and performance within a work environment free from harassment, bullying, and discrimination. Please let us know if you require any adjustments as part of the application process or to enable you to attend an interview. If you would like to discuss your requirements or have any questions, please contact a member of our HR team who will be happy to help.