Business Development Manager
Met Office Business Group plays an important role in the Met Office by creating valuable weather and climate information for industry decision makers so they can operate safely, efficiently and successfully.
An exciting opportunity has arisen for a Business Development Manager to work in our Onshore Energy team. The Energy sector is undergoing a period of transformation as it looks to deliver on the Energy Trilemma of a sustainable, secure and affordable future with climate targets very much at the forefront of change and innovation. This is a fantastic opportunity for someone to uncover these industry challenges and in turn develop relationships with new and existing key Met Office customers and stakeholders to deliver mutually beneficial outcomes.
The jobholder will be responsible for understanding market and customer needs across a specific part of the Onshore Energy sector and matching to current and future Met Office capability. They will also seek to look for, and define, funding mechanisms to bring these innovative opportunities through the pipeline, to deliver on Business Group objectives. Working within a multidisciplinary environment, the job holder will also oversee the delivery of these projects and activities through managing and motivating a range of delivery teams across the Met Office.
The successful candidate will be quick to learn, self motivated and excel in developing new customer and stakeholder relationships and thrive in working collaboratively with customers.
To develop and manage productive relationships with key customers and identify new market and customer opportunities to deliver growth in profitable revenue over the medium term.
• Develop and build long term relationship with key customers within the Onshore Energy market in order to generate new value for customers from weather and climate science and deliver against personal and team revenue and profit targets
• Maintain effective account plans for key customers. Utilise these to identify and promote activity on areas of greatest potential aligned to existing and developing Met Office capabilities
• Gain an in depth understanding of an exciting developing area within the Energy Market; investigating market and customer drivers to support the identification and development of potential new product or service offerings.
• Oversee effective delivery of customer projects and activities, coordinating and prioritising activity by working with colleagues across different disciplines including science and technology.
• Deliver all sales in line with Met Office sales processes and record all interactions with customers using industry leading customer relationship management tools
Essential Qualifications, Skills & Abilities
1. Proven track record in developing and nurturing mutually beneficial customer relationships, across all levels of an organisation; demonstrating a structured approach to account development and management.
2. Demonstrable experience of being able to develop an in-depth understanding of market or customer needs, in order to develop future opportunities or service enhancements.
3. Proven sales and negotiation skills, adept at developing and closing complex sales or funding opportunities
4. Strong organisational skills demonstrating ability to prioritise effort against areas of greatest potential and maintain momentum on multiple priorities in parallel.
5. Proven track record of overseeing delivery of customer assignments or programmes of work, working collaboratively with colleagues across different departments.
Desirable Qualifications, Skills & Abilities
1. Proven ability to quickly pick up science /technical knowledge and effectively communicate them to a wide range of audiences.
2. Solution focused individual with a can do attitude who enjoys thinking in an innovative way
Additional Supplementary Information
To apply, please click on the ‘apply’ button below.
Key Dates: Closing date 23/06/2019 with interviews 09/07/2019. Please note that you will be notified if you are successful or unsuccessful.
Should you be offered an interview, please be aware there may be a selection exercise which could include a presentation, written test or a scenario-based activity. If you require any reasonable adjustments during these exercises, please include this information in your application.
This role will nominally be based in Exeter HQ but we will consider applicants wishing to work elsewhere within the UK.
We are open to this job being performed from other locations and with different working patterns (e.g. part-time, job share) and are willing to explore with any potential candidates whether we can meet the business needs for the role based on their preference for location and/or working pattern.
Please note, when joining the Met Office all new employees will start on the salary band minimum.
This recruitment post is not offering UK Visa and Sponsorship and therefore requires all applicants to be eligible to work within the UK / EU without restriction. If you are a non–EU candidate, you will be required to provide and attach all relevant eligibility documentation to your application at the time of applying.
Due to the nature of the role, this post requires you to gain full security clearance therefore, in order obtain full clearance you will need to have lived in the UK for 3 years out of the last 5 years.