Business Intelligence Engineer
Our vision for EMEA Compliance is to support Amazon’s mission of offering the widest selection of products available, while protecting customers from potential hazardous products.
We are looking for a dynamic, organised self-starter to join our EMEA Compliance Product Strategy and Tools [PST] team as a Business Intelligence Engineer [BIE]. PST is a multi-functional team that supports product, program and business intelligence across compliance organizations in the region. PST is a diverse team that offers work flexibility to our team members and has a focus on personal development while working collaboratively to deliver the best experience to our customers.
As a BIE on the team, you will be champion the overall data strategy for the program, collaborate on program decisions through data deep dives to determine root cause of defects, and present findings to internal customers to drive improvements. While the initial role is EU focused, the role can expand to driving the WW program ownership of the data architecture.
To be successful, you need the ability to operate in an entrepreneurial environment, and be comfortable working with ambiguity or multiple competing priorities. Ability to develop the outputs yourself is key to being successful in the role. You have the ability to leverage the existing capabilities developed, innovate over and above to deliver more effective solutions. Finally, you own driving high-impact customer decisions and working closely with senior leaders in the organization.
In this position, the candidate will be responsible for:
1. Developing a strong working relationship with the program stakeholders and communicate with them effectively
2. Developing the data strategy for the program by translating complex business problems into deliverable outputs
3. Managing an intake and prioritization mechanism for the internal customers to work with
4. Supporting definition and monitoring of long-term programs for automation or process excellence
5. Supporting functional teams on the day-to-day execution of prioritized projects
6. Building and maintaining recurring metrics, reports, and dashboards
7. Creating and maintaining new data pipelines and databases
- High levels of integrity and discretion in handling confidential information
- 4+ years of experience as a Business/Financial Analyst, BI Engineer or Systems Analyst preferably in an internet-based company with large, complex data sources
- Proficient in SQL (e.g. PostgreSQL)
- At least 1 year of hands-on experience working with a scripting language (e.g. Python/R)
- Experience in data visualization platforms (e.g. Tableau, PowerBI, Quicksight)
- Ability to take complex business problems and translate them into clear and accurate results
- Proven analytical and quantitative skills and an ability to use hard data and metrics to back up assumptions, develop business cases, and complete root cause/analyses
- Ability to prioritize multiple concurrent projects while still delivering timely and accurate results
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively with Data Engineers and BI Engineers to mine the right data sources efficiently and accurately
- Strong verbal and written communications skills at an executive level that enable you to explain complex insights with clarity and precision
- 6+ years of experience as a Business/Financial Analyst, BI Engineer or Systems Analyst preferably in an internet-based company with large, complex data sources
- Experience with AWS technologies including Redshift, Lambda, S3, EC2, and/or EMR
- Experience working with both business and operations teams with deep experience on existing systems and data sources
- Master’s degree, MBA or equivalent experience in Computer Science, Information Systems, or related business field.
- Experience developing Python applications in a production environment
- Track record of strong interpersonal and communication (verbal and written) skills. Must be able to explain technical concepts and analysis implications clearly to a wide audience, including senior executives, and be able to translate business objectives into actionable analyses and contribute to documents
- Experience developing insights across various areas of customer-related data: financial, product, and marketing
- Experience in database management to support limited clusters for the organization