Cloud Infrastructure Engineer
We're looking for a Cloud Infrastructure Engineer to join our evolving and ambitious team at Wellcome. You'll work with architects and engineers to make a direct contribution towards Wellcome's mission of improving human health for everyone.
The Cloud Infrastructure Engineer is responsible for support & implementation activities across a broad range of environments. This comprises both Cloud (AWS & Azure) and on-premise estates supporting domain services, storage, servers, networks and data centers.
As a Cloud SME you will support design through to delivery, forming and supporting the requirements as part of Wellcome's Digital Transformation. You will conduct adequate assessments across risk, cost & operations. This will also involve supporting security and remediation activities.
In this role you will be:
- Maintaining, provisioning and operating Wellcome's Cloud Infrastructure in AWS & Azure.
- Responding on significant events or incidents through informed, assertive corrective actions (e.g. a modification, restriction or complete removal of resources or services available).
- Reviewing and managing system & device patches, upgrades and fixes leveraging version control tools where pertinent.
- Provide guidance & support where necessary for migration to Cloud activities such as build, test or deploy.
- Contributing to the execution of IT Disaster Recovery plans when IT and/or business disruptions occur.
- Actively contribute as part of a cross-skilled team, sharing knowledge of Cloud technologies, whilst evolving practical skills in Networking and on-premise technologies.
See Full Job Description [Link]
Experience & Skills
To be successful you will have:
- Extensive practical and demonstrable experience in Cloud Technologies & IaaS (preferably AWS and/or Azure).
- Demonstrable experience of Infrastructure as a Code tools (e.g. TerraForm or CloudFormation).
- Practical understanding of Cloud architecture concepts, e.g. scaling, performance, security, integration & costs.
- Practical experience of on-premise to Cloud migrations.
- Proficient in one or more scripting languages (e.g. JSON, Python, Bash, PowerShell, Ruby)
- Demonstrable understanding of full-stack infrastructure:
- Infrastructure cloud (IaaS) services
- Operating systems (Windows, Linux, Apple IOS)
- Virtualisation & Hypervisors
- Storage and encryption
- IP and virtual networks
Education & Qualifications
- AWS Associate level or Azure Stack Operator
- Practical familiarity with ITIL V3
- Educated to Bachelor degree level or relevant professional qualification
A person that would do really well here is a person that is willing to pick up things and work closely with teams such as the network team and exchange in knowledge sharing whilst always being collaborative.