Collection Storage Officer
We are looking for a Collection Storage Officer who is responsible for shaping the strategic aims and delivering the day to day management and security of Wellcome Collection's storage facilities (on-site and off-site, on open and closed access).
You will sit within the Storage, Location and Movement working group to review and embed improvements to systems alongside Collection Managers. You will implement the Conservation and Collection Care Policy and procedures relating to environmental conditions, stacks management, storage and rehousing.
You will work alongside colleagues in Conservation and Collection Care; advise Collections & Research and Public Programmes on quarantine, new acquisition and storage projects; liaise with stakeholders on security and housekeeping and work closely with Library Experience & Engagement teams to ensure the safe handling and care of the collection.
As an organisation we adhere to the efficient and effective planning and management of Wellcome's collection storage in line with Museum Accreditation and Service Accreditation standards.
You'll be involved with delivering long term storage strategy, improve location, storage and control processes, embed procedures for new acquisitions, wholescale integrated pest management and monitor these programmes and deliverables.
Experience & Skills
- A strong track record of leading in the physical management of collections, updating databases and up to date storage practice
- Significant hands-on experience of collection care with elements of preventive conservation
- Significant hands-on experience of moving collections of material following location and movement controls
- Disaster recovery management experience, familiarity with COSHH regulation, risk assessment and method statements for work
- Significant experience of fostering a culture of collaboration and team working
- Skilled at managing complex workloads and prioritising conflicting demands
- Demonstrable ability to communicate and present credibly at all levels
- Influencing and negotiation skills, excellent interpersonal and partnership building skills
- Highly skilled in balancing the needs of multiple stakeholders
- Initiative and drive to achieve objectives and excel
- A pragmatic approach; realistic, flexible and able to adapt to situations
Education & Qualifications
- Educated to degree level in a relevant subject with practical experience in a library, museum or heritage environment or with significant equivalent relevant experience
If you're passionate about our work and want to use your skills, knowledge and experience to support our vision, then we'd love to hear from you. You can apply using the link below.
Please send your CV of not more than 2 pages and upload a covering letter that includes a paragraph on an exciting or innovative response to collection storage that you've experienced and how you might go about translating that to our spaces. You will be able to upload this supporting document alongside your CV upon completing the application process.
Diversity and Inclusion is a priority at Wellcome. We are committed to cultivating a fair and healthy environment, where everyone can be themselves and thrive. We are happy to discuss flexible working options for all roles. We work to ensure that our recruitment processes are as inclusive as possible to everyone. This includes making adjustments for people who have a disability or long-term condition. If you would like us to make adjustments during the application process, please contact us at