Collections Development Archivist
Are you a creative and adventurous thinker who has an innovative and proactive attitude towards collections development? Have a clear focus on solutions and outcomes, rather than on problems and outputs? Highly self-motivated with the ability to show initiative?
The Wellcome Collections development team are looking for a talented individual to join their team as a Collections Development Archivist.
The team take a holistic view of Wellcomes collections, making collection development decisions based on knowledge and understanding of the whole. They savour a diverse mix of collecting activity, ranging from managing large scale strategic initiatives to negotiating the purchase of a single rare item or the donation of a historically significant archive.
What are some of the responsibilities of this role...
The successful candidate will play a key role in developing collections that contain a diverse range of voices to challenge how we all think and feel about health. This is an exciting role as they will be working to develop creative ideas and methodologies for collection development and then bring people together to achieve them. As well as developing and refining policies and procedures relating to acquisition and accessioning, and to appraisal and disposal.
To be successful in this role we are looking for:
- Excellent knowledge of the main issues relating to the acquisition, management and disposal of archive and manuscript materials.
- Ability to work flexibly across other types of material, such as printed, visual or moving image & sound.
- Experience of working with born-digital material.
- An understanding of sectoral theory relating to collections development and experience of putting this into practice.
- Knowledge and expertise of the legal framework relating to collections development activity
Diversity and Inclusion is a priority at Wellcome. We are committed to cultivating a fair and healthy environment, where everyone can be themselves and thrive. We are happy to discuss flexible working options for all roles. We work to ensure that our recruitment processes are as inclusive as possible to everyone. This includes making adjustments for people who have a disability or long-term condition. If you would like us to make adjustments during the application process, please contact us at .