Exciting role for a freelance copywriter to help shape the tone of voice of a young, fresh charity
Parapride, a charity that engages with LGBTQ and disabled people of different cultural backgrounds residing in the UK in order to create safe spaces and a community to elevate, include and celebrate these diverse identities is looking for a freelance Copywriter to take on a short-term project with a view to further future engagement as the charity develops.
We are a small team with a range of backgrounds and disciplines who are looking for someone creative and informed to partner with and learn from. Our aim is to be welcoming and supportive as employers, and we will ask for your feedback along the way to ensure we’re succeeding on that front.
The Parapride team has big plans for 2022 and beyond, and have been working on a strategic vision and foundational communication plan that now requires a creative copywriter to make its mission statement and values come alive.
Working with members of the Parapride Board of Trustees, the successful candidate will develop the charity’s tone of voice in two short rounds of work before the design phase and rollout to platforms.
This will result in the following deliverables:
· A deck positioning Parapride’s tone of voice
· Proposals for a one-line mission statement for Parapride (shorter than the 33 words above!)
· A Keywords and/or Glossary page outlining Parapride-preferred terms and also words or terms to avoid (for example, at Parapride we celebrate identity but don’t encourage inspirational copy)
Applicants are invited to make the Parapride team aware of any access requirements that will support applicants in completing the application process. Examples of access requirements may include (but are not limited to):
- British Sign Language interpretation
- Additional time
- Speech-only applications
- Text-only applications
We welcome applications and interviews via pre-recorded video, text exchange or phone call as well as over video-call.
Parapride are looking for a Copywriter by trade or by passion who meets all or most of the following criteria:
· Has lived experience that reflects Parapride’s audience
· Has at least 3-5 years’ experience as a Copywriter in an advertising, charity or creative agency environment
· Has a passion for charitable causes and a strong awareness of access requirements
· Demonstrates an inclusive and questioning mindset
· Understands the challenges faced by LGBTQ disabled people
· Is based in the UK and is legally able to work there
How to Apply:
Please send your CV and a half-page cover letter that answers the following question:
· How would you use words and language to help Parapride reach more people in its target audience?
You can email your CV to firstname.lastname@example.org. We will respond to all applications but are limited in our capacity to address questions or give individual feedback – we hope you understand.
Timeline & Recruitment Process:
The Parapride team will review CVs and profiles early in January 2022 and invite successful candidates to a 30-minute interview at the end of that month.
As part of the interview a short task will be shared for completion, and it is recommended that no more than 2 hours are spent on it, though it will be sent one week ahead of the interview. This task will be sent to you via Word document. Please make us aware in your application if you would like to receive this task in a different format.
A clear briefing on the project, which is outlined above, will be shared with the successful candidate. The deadline for completing the work is the end of February 2022.
Please note that interviews may take place outside of core working hours as the panel are volunteer Trustees with day-jobs. Interviews will likely be a panel of 2-3 Trustees – please inform us if you have a preference for one-to-one conversations and/or if you have any preferred times for interviews and we will make the necessary arrangements.