At Motorola Solutions, we create technologies our customers refer to as their lifeline. Our technology platforms in communications, software, video and services help our customers work safely and more efficiently. Whether it’s helping firefighters see through smoke, enabling police officers to see around street corners, or reliably keeping the lights on in homes and businesses around the world, our work supports those who put their lives on the line to keep us safe. Bring your passion, potential and talents to Motorola Solutions, and help us usher in a new era in public safety and security.
The Data Base Administrator is responsible for maintaining the availability and delivery of the Data Bases relating to the IT Infrastructure within the UK Managed Services Platform. This is delivered as part of a 24/7/365 support model underpinning the delivery of all associated services and service levels in line with contractual performance levels.
This role will interact with other operational specialists within the Managed Service Platform, Airwave and the wider Motorola Organisation. As a key technical interface point for Airwave, ESN, User Organisations and Suppliers the successful candidate must demonstrate an ability to establish and maintain effective relationships across a wide landscape.
The Data Base Administrator will be responsible for developing and discharging the Applications, Infrastructure and Spares Management related sub processes as well as participation within other processes such as Problem, Change, Incident, Release, Availability Management, etc
Key Responsibilities and Accountabilities
• Supporting the operation of Databases
• Develop existing and new services to meet business requirements
• Plan and implement technical work packages for the development of new services and maintenance of existing services
• On-call duty to ensure 24/7 critical cover for IT Infrastructure
• Support and implement the IT development and service management processes, as required, including Incident, Change, Release, Problem and Capacity and Availability Management
• Comply with other corporate policies and processes as defined
• Support the Head of IT Infrastructure with Vendor and Supplier technical performance and management reviews
• Act as an external ambassador, representing and promoting UKMS to customers and suppliers through all relevant contact
• Support the production of reports relating to the IT Technical Support team and service performance.
• Able to demonstrate the key cultural principles of Airwave in terms of Collaboration with others, Achieving Service Targets and driving Continuous Improvement
• Self-driven, results-oriented with a positive outlook, keen for new experiences and responsibilities with a clear focus on high quality and operational efficiency.
• A natural forward planner who critically assesses own performance and is proactive and self-driven in achieving goals and objectives.
• Mature, credible, a team player and comfortable in dealing with key stakeholders of the role. Ie Reliable, tolerant, approachable and determined.
• Empathetic communicator, able to see things from the other person's point of view.
• Well-presented and business-like. Sufficiently mobile and flexible to travel occassionally within the UK.
• The individual must be comfortable with cultural transformation.
• A natural problem solver and logical thinker.
• At least HNC in an IT related discipline or substantial relevant experience
• ITIL v3 foundation (Desirable)
• Significant experience in the design, implementation and operation of critical IT infrastructure services in an enterprise environment
• Significant experience in the development, implementation and support of at least one of the following (in priority order) and willingness to undertake training for the others:
o MS SQL
o Open Source databases (MySQL, PostGres, MongoDB)
• Experience of the broader set of infrastructure technologies such as: Unix/Linux, Windows Server, Enterprise Storage and Backup Technologies, VMWare virtualisation, Server hardware management
• Extensive industry experience working in Technical Support teams demonstrating an analytical approach to solving complex problems
• Demonstrable ability to identify improvements in Technical Support SLAs e.g. Incident Resolution, Availability Management, Operate and Maintenance etc.
• Good understanding of OSS/BSS Applications such as BMC Remedy, HP Openview, Netcool, Comptel/Mediations Systems etc (Desirable)
Airwave / Motorola is committed to equal opportunities in the work place.