Location: Port Sunlight
Unilever is one of the world’s leading suppliers of Food, Home and Personal Care products with sales in over 190 countries and reaching 2 billion consumers a day. Unilever has more than 400 brands found in homes around the world, including Persil, Dove, Knorr, Domestos, Hellmann’s, Lipton, Wall’s, PG Tips, Ben & Jerry’s, Marmite, Magnum and Lynx. Faced with the challenge of climate change and the need for human development, we want to move towards a world where everyone can live well and within the natural limits of the planet. That’s why our purpose is ‘to make sustainable living commonplace”
The future begins in Research & Development (R&D). In R&D, you’ll find out what consumers want and need, and then design the science and technology to make our innovations come to life. We have over 6,000 R&D employees designing, creating and developing exciting new products using innovative technologies - from scientists and product development experts to professionals such as hairdressers and chefs who have the skills to evaluate new products. You could be designing and developing new innovations for brands like TRESemmé, Magnum, Cornetto and Domestos – straight from your team to the shelves!
At the core of our values is sustainability, and our teams are dedicated to making our products better for you, for our customers and for the world. We are committed to ensuring that all of our packaging is fully reusable, recyclable or compostable by 2025, and that we are using more recycled content. To achieve this, we collaborate closely either within the various R&D teams, with other Unilever colleagues like Marketeers and the Supply Chain, and with leading scientific experts from around the world.
If you have a passion for innovation and consumer products and like demonstrating how technology works then this opportunity might be just for you. Unilever’s Global Dishwash Category is looking for someone to join its Consumer Technical Insights (CTI) team at Port Sunlight, Wirral to work on how to bring product technologies to life. This is an excellent opportunity to join an exciting team and develop your skills and career working on some of the world’s biggest Homecare brands.
Understanding and meeting the needs of our consumers is at the heart of the Consumer Technical Insights team. This role will play an important part in understanding how our products perform in globally-relevant conditions, and developing ways to bring the product performance to life so we can show our consumers the strength of our technologies – either in advertising on in retail environments.
Effective claims and creative benefit demonstrations tell our consumers what to expect from our products and play an important part in the consumer experience. The holder of this role will help to shape, define and support product communication for our global brands.
You will work in a multi-disciplinary business environment, ensuring the delivery of high-quality technical product demonstrations to support our Global Innovation Portfolio. The role is of a technical nature, as it needs to bring technologies to life, but it will also need an understanding of consumer habits so that those demonstrations are executed in a consumer-relevant way.
To lead and deliver the development of technical product demonstrations for Dishwash category in a way that is easily understandable to non-technical people (e.g consumers but also internal stakeholders).
- To lead and execute the creation of technical demos in the context of Dishwash projects (bth Hand and Machine Dishwash).
- To build a “war chest” of useful demos that can be potentially applied across projects in the Dishwash category.
- To develop the support required for those demos (i.e. data needed), working closely with other business functions such as marketing and legal partners
- To analyse and interpret data originating from demos, providing clear conclusions and recommendations
- To be responsible for maintaining existing quality of capabilities in skill area and to identify new opportunities via networks (internal/external)
- To extract insights from multiple sources of information and identify the opportunities for the business in the context of demo creation
- To work at the interface between consumer and technical insights so that the demos created are relevant globally for our consumers
ALL ABOUT YOU
- Ability to co-ordinate and work with external partners to explore different gadgets/ devices or guide creative depiction of the demo for channel specific execution
- Appreciation of how consumers use products so that any demos can be consumer relevant.
- Appreciation of different channels of demo execution (the thought being that one can create the right demo if there is some understanding of how it may ultimately land with the audience)
- Proven ability to plan and manage own work within a technical area
- Ability to manage and communicate with stakeholders, including those from non-technical backgrounds
- Experimental design, familiarity with statistical tools, statistical data analysis and statistical interpretation of data.
- Ability to interpret data from multiple sources in order to design better technical demos.
- Ability to communicate technical insights to a variety of audiences.
- Problem solving skills with practical creativity.
- Ability to work with in multi-functional teams.
- Excellent communication & interpersonal skills.
- Good organisation and time-management
- BSc or MSc (or equivalent) in Physical Sciences (including Physics, Materials Science, Polymer Science, Chemistry or Biochemistry).
- Experience in an industrial or academic science area requiring measurement and data handling / analysis
- Knowledge around stains and/or stain removal from surfaces
- Experience of FMCG or the detergents sector
- Experience or awareness of consumer product use and how that might impact demo creation.
- Occasional travel may be required
- The job includes both laboratory and office-based work (some of which may be agile)
WHAT WE OFFER
Not only do we offer a competitive salary, but also our pension scheme, an annual bonus, a free gym, a staff shop and shares. You’ll get the opportunity to work directly with our renowned and exciting brands in a flexible and agile environment. We strive to achieve a family-friendly culture and to, above all, create possibilities for all.
Diversity at Unilever is about inclusion, embracing differences, creating possibilities and growing together for better business performance. We embrace diversity in our workforce. This means giving full and fair consideration to all applicants and continuing development of all employees regardless of age, disability, gender reassignment, race, religion or belief, sex, sexual orientation, marriage and civil partnership, and pregnancy and maternity.