Digital and Commercial Director- Home Care
Digital and Commercial Director, Home Care Innovation
JOB LOCATION: UK
Unilever is one of the world’s leading suppliers of Food, Home and Personal Care products with sales in over 190 countries and reaching 2 billion consumers a day. Unilever has more than 400 brands found in homes around the world, including Persil, Dove, Knorr, Domestos, Hellmann’s, Lipton, Wall’s, PG Tips, Ben & Jerry’s, Marmite, Magnum and Lynx. Faced with the challenge of climate change and the need for human development, we want to move towards a world where everyone can live well and within the natural limits of the planet. That’s why our purpose is ‘to make sustainable living commonplace”
Our Marketeers create value by building more relevant and meaningful consumer relationships. Our job is to offer the right product to the right person at the right time. Whether you’re bringing a trusted favourite to a new market, or launching something new, you’ll see great products brought to life in the eyes of customers and consumers, creating relationships that can last generations.
Unilever’s Marketers are impactful Entrepreneurs in sustainable marketing and are increasingly focused on driving performance through brands with purpose; brands which provide a positive change to people and to society. We want to reach more people in more places more often with product truth; enabling and empowering people to achieve great things for themselves, for our business, and for the world. Our brilliantly different brands - brands that have a strong purpose, but where the product itself is also contributing towards a more sustainable planet – such as Knorr, Omo, Dove and Domestos are growing 30% faster than the rest of our portfolio and delivering over half of our growth.
E-com is accelerating faster than ever before. Pre-pandemic, it was already growing at almost 10x rate of total FMCG channels (+22% vs. +2.4% Source: Kantar). In the last 6 months alone, penetration has grown between 6% - 9% in maturing & advanced markets such as China, the USA, UK, and France. Many new shoppers esp. in the older generation have now entered online shopping indicating that the channel is becoming mainstream. Home Care business currently has a small % of its turnover coming from B2C e-commerce and the contribution from Pure players is lower.
Home Care categories are under indexed in online shopping compared to other categories like Beauty, Pet food, Baby etc. Routine Home Care products sold offline have a disadvantage because of low average selling price and value density. As a result, they are not profitable esp. for pure play retailers given high cost of fulfilment. Every year, players like Amazon delist best sellers where they cannot realise a profit (CRAP).
Our attempts so far have been to adapt offline products to online by focusing on higher ASP packs or bundling as an afterthought. This is different from how some of our businesses deal with e-commerce by thinking about online consumer journey and retailers from inception. The Laundress, Olly, Blue air, and 7th gen are some of the examples of businesses who do this well.
Not only do they sell well online but the way they are organized for Digital marketing enables them to leverage all investments that are being made along the consumer journey in the digital eco-system.
The category runs several digital programs through central teams that are not always leading to the ultimate measure of performance of our efforts – conversion. Therefore, there is a need to create an organization which will integrate all the key digital programs that will lead to driving our online business and portfolio. The unit will have its focus on UK to begin with and create repeatable model for other key markets.
The GM : Digital business for Home care will lead all the key digital programs built to enhance consumer experiences and commerce in the Digital ecosystem. The leader will be testing and scaling digital solutions currently in play and future programs to enhance consumer experiences with Home care brands. All our brand.coms and Cleanipedia work will fold into their responsibility. Building a viable e-commerce portfolio and solution for direct selling for our B2B business will also be an important deliverable. The job therefore will integrate all our digital efforts in the division.
The key results for this role to deliver are:
- Make Cleanipedia a trusted authority on cleaning and home care solutions in our operating markets and help our brand sell more through engaging content and data driven insights
- Make our key brand websites the best in class for content and user experience. This will help enhance Brand Power and sales.
- Leverage new models for engaging users (e.g. through QR codes on Packs).
- Pilot and scale new Business models like the Digital selling engine for B2B Business of Home care.
- Build capability in HC division to design and execute innovations for online shoppers in Pure play (Amazon) and DTC platforms and lead the industry as channel shift to e-commerce accelerates.
- Launch successfully at least 3 ideas designed for pure players with potential of > 5m euros (Y1 ito) in the UK every year.
- Build capability to deliver integrated demand creation through data driven full funnel marketing for all Amazon focused portfolio with 100% resources focused on conversion.
- Build a SC network to execute the small-scale e-com innovations and get customer service levels to > 99%.
- Appoint the best in class end to end team of experts to man the core roles required to succeed by Q1 2021 and build scalable capabilities for markets outside UK.
- Create a rolling 8-quarter innovation funnel for e-com first innovations across EU and other relevant pure-play markets by end of 2021.
The role is designed to work independently in an agile setup and will be governed by a lean Investor board led by our HC President. The other key interfaces for the lead will be the HC CDVP (Hiring manager), UK CCBT, UK E-com team, CCVP EU, and Functional leaders in HCLT. The leader will have a dedicated cross functional team of experts who will help build this unit into an innovation machine for Home care in UK, EU, and relevant pure play markets.
ALL ABOUT YOU
- A strong Digital marketing and e-commerce experience with commercial responsibility is a must for this role
- Marketing experience in mix development will be a plus
- Solid in-market deployment experience
- Analytical and data driven
- Founder’s mindset with a huge drive
- Strong track record in project management & delivery
- Bias for action, and ability to work in an agile environment
- Strong customer and consumer orientation
- General management skills to be able to handle end to end operations
WHAT WE OFFER
Not only do we offer a competitive salary, but also our pension scheme, an annual bonus, a free gym, a staff shop and shares. You’ll get the opportunity to work directly with our renowned and exciting brands in a flexible and agile environment. We strive to achieve a family-friendly culture and to, above all, create possibilities for all.
Diversity at Unilever is about inclusion, embracing differences, creating possibilities and growing together for better business performance. We embrace diversity in our workforce. This means giving full and fair consideration to all applicants and continuing development of all employees regardless of age, disability, gender reassignment, race, religion or belief, sex, sexual orientation, marriage and civil partnership, and pregnancy and maternity.