Digital Technical Architect (CMS Specialisation)
Citizens Advice offers confidential advice online, over the phone, and in person, for free. Through our national network of charities, we give people the knowledge and the confidence they need to find their way forward – whoever they are, and whatever their problem.
Citizens Advice, based in Central London near St Paul’s, require a Digital Technical Architect with specialist knowledge of CMS architecture to join our growing team. You’ll be working across a number of exciting digital projects.
This is an exciting time as you will have an opportunity to assist in the direction of this important national charity as the development team is scaled up. We have a number of exciting internal and externally customer facing digital projects with opportunities for R&D Fridays and creative thinking.
We help change millions of people’s lives each year. And we need your help to make even more difference.
Why should I choose Citizens Advice?
- A competitive salary 26 days paid holiday (on top of public holidays), up to 6.5% employer pension contributions.
- The technology - it's always the latest stuff and forward looking. We are full AWS and deployed Google Enterprise for work across all 6 of our core offices in the UK.
- Developers kit. Every developer has a Macbook Pro and whatever else we can provide to help you get the job done.
- Our office is open plan and a great place to work.
- We will invest in your personal technical development to keep your skills sharp and encourage you to attend conferences covering the latest techniques to improve yourself and the team.
- We are flexible with one or two days of remote working from home.
- We recognise the benefits of R&D time and opportunity to work on Alpha products.
- Our great digital products help more than 22m users a year to solve their problems, and make a proven difference in people’s lives.
Who we are?
- A leading non-profit with more than 20,000 staff and volunteers in the wider service, and over 2,500 locations.
- Awesome reach: 22 million people engage with our public facing web sites, and 6.2 million issues are handled in person locally.
- Amazing customer satisfaction: 95% of our clients say they would recommend us.
- We have a diverse digital portfolio of consumer products across different areas and markets, including money advice, consumer tools, witness service.
- Citizens Advice is responsible for listening to people’s experiences, collecting data and then helping the government to instigate reform, as well as helping the millions of people across the UK desperately in need of advice.
What’s our tech?
We spend a lot of time picking and refining the right tools across our technical stack:
- Our tech stack includes Ruby on Rails, Rspec, Cucumber, React, Jest, Elasticsearch, Postgres, Spark, Docker, AWS (cloudFormation, EC2, S3, CloudFront, Chef et al), Jenkins, JMeter & Selenium grid.
- We have a road map for continuous delivery.
- We use GitHub, Atlassian, Invision, Slack, Google Hangouts et al to stay organised and in touch.
- We are fully agile using either scrum for big or kanban for small projects.
- Our approach to testing is to use the best practices for BDD/TDD.
What do we expect from you?
- Strong understanding of behavioural design patterns
- Passionate about learning new technologies
- Creating architectural designs that adhere to industry best practices
- Experience with UML for producing architectural diagrams
- Object oriented development experience
- Functional development experience
- Ability to select the right technologies for the job
- Strong team-based skills
- Experienced at creating complex architectures
- Working with agile development methodologies, familiar with Scrum and Kanban
- Proven experience developing high traffic websites and applications for both content and complex form / data capture systems
- Specialist knowledge of CMS architectures with integrations to other systems.
- Understanding of hosting and cloud technologies
- Proficient understanding of code versioning tools such as Git and branching strategies
- Managing external suppliers
- A good listener with strong communication skills. Able to communicate effectively with technical and non-technical audiences
- Sound estimating abilities
- Knowledge and track record of industry standards with regard to the inclusiveness and accessibility of technology solutions and putting the user (all types of users and clients) at the heart of everything we do
- We are interested in people who have strong green field development and product experience, and minds who have spent time sweating the details about what is really important to customers.
- Flexibility, dynamism, passionate about technology and continuous learning. You’ll also be eager to share your experience and learnings with the wider team to promote the value of high quality tests.
- Experience of working in cross functional teams (highly desirable).
- Masters in Computer Science or related technical field or equivalent practical experience.
- Any experience of testing machine learning systems would be highly desirable.
- People who want to work in a generous, inventive and responsible culture and help change millions of lives for better.
We particularly welcome applications from disabled and Black, Asian and Minority Ethnic (BAME) candidates as BAME and disabled people are currently under-represented throughout Citizens Advice. We are a member of the race equality campaign at Business in the Community, the Prince’s responsible business network and are committed to improving employment opportunities for ethnic minorities across the UK. We also welcome applications from, LGB and Trans and non binary candidates.
We have made a positive commitment to employing disabled people and guarantee to interview all disabled candidates who meet the minimum essential criteria for the role as set out in role profiles.