Employee Relations Manager
As the Employee Relations (ER) Manager at HS2, you will report into the Head of Employee & Industrial Relations. This role supports the development and delivery of effective people policies and processes. Accountable for the provision of coaching and guidance to users of the breadth of employment/people policies that exemplify a modern and inclusive approach to employment. The role holder will produce and communicate reports that capture internal and external ER metrics, strengths and weaknesses. This role provides significant insight into HS2 values and employee experience of people policy deployment and related behavior, and their impacts on employee engagement.
- Responsible for establishing and maintaining effective working relationships with Business facing HR, HR Shared Services, Heads of HR, Secretary to the Workplace Forum and other key stakeholders to ensure effective people policies and processes are in place to deliver integrated and effective HR/people solutions across HS2 Ltd
- Provide expert advice to shape future plans for policy development, using data and insights from HRSS and casework experiences to influence appropriate solutions
- Develop relevant ER documentation, ensuring all contractual/legal documents and templates are kept up to date, in line with current legislation
- Manage the provision of accurate, professional ER correspondence
- Assess, monitor and report ER metrics in such a way that is compliant with HS2 reporting and assurance requirements
- Provide specialist advice, support and guidance to HR colleagues and line managers who are leading the resolution of ER issues
- Develop comprehensive guidance documentation for HR colleagues and HS2 managers on ER issues
- Support and coach HR colleagues and managers in understanding and complying with employment policies and practices
- Engage with HS2 Heads of the Equality, Diversity & Inclusion; Skills Education and Employment; Resourcing, Learning and Development teams to help shape implementation plans and ensure services are aligned and in place to support planned changes
- Track employee relations plans against agreed metrics, recommending areas for improvement
- Good knowledge and understanding of employment legislative frameworks and associated people policies/terms
- Ability to support the development and implementation of ER policies, procedures and processes
- Ability to produce and present documents and reports to a variety of audiences
- Able to influence stakeholders at all levels
- Resilience and flexibility
- Ability to work autonomously when required, but also collaboratively across the organisation and within the HR team
- CIPD qualified or studying towards a level 5 diploma in Human Resource Management (HRM) or equivalent.
- Knowledge and understanding of employment law and associated people policies/terms
- Commercial awareness and ability to deliver good value to the taxpayer
- Knowledge and understanding of employment legislative frameworks and associated people policies/terms
- Understanding of operating in a unionised environment
- Experience of motivating teams - HR advisors, Case Managers & Independent Investigators
- Experienced in change management, continuous improvement and delivery of value adding ER/HR services
- Experience of Shared Services operations, with a balanced customer and process centric mind-set
- Experience of working in a multi-disciplined, commercially focussed environment with competing priorities
It is expected that you will actively promote and embed Equality, Diversity and Inclusion (EDI) in all your work and support and comply with all organisational initiatives, policies and procedures on EDI.
We ask for a variety of detail in your online application, however we perform the first assessment of suitability for a role based solely on the information in your CV. Please attach an updated word version of your CV for each new application and include evidence directly related to the criteria in the job advert.
High Speed 2 (HS2 Ltd) will be the UK’s new high speed rail network. As well as improving capacity, the new scheme will shorten journey times between a number of Britain’s major population centres, boost the economy and create thousands of jobs.
HS2 Ltd will create a skills legacy and develop a diverse range of talent. We aim to be a leader in EDI practice by creating a safe & inclusive working environment for all our staff - living our values of Safety, Respect, Integrity and Leadership.
In practice, this means we are positive and inclusive about making adjustments, providing flexible working, encouraging our staff networks to flourish and providing personal and professional development opportunities.
HS2 Ltd is also a safety-critical organisation. Employees are required to ensure reasonable care of their own and others’ health and safety by taking personal responsibility for working to our ‘Safe at Heart’ programme principles and following safe working procedures at all times.
HS2 Ltd endeavours to ensure everyone working for us and with us feels included, thrives and achieves their full potential.