JOB TITLE: Engineering Technician
JOB LOCATION: Gloucester
Unilever is one of the world’s leading suppliers of Food, Home and Personal Care products with sales in over 190 countries and reaching 2 billion consumers a day. Unilever has more than 400 brands found in homes around the world, including Persil, Dove, Knorr, Domestos, Hellmann’s, Lipton, Wall’s, PG Tips, Ben & Jerry’s, Marmite, Magnum and Lynx. Faced with the challenge of climate change and the need for human development, we want to move towards a world where everyone can live well and within the natural limits of the planet. That’s why our purpose is ‘to make sustainable living commonplace’.
Our Supply Chain teams play a vital role in getting our goods to consumers; from sourcing raw materials to manufacturing and delivering the end product. You could be finding a new way to get 12,000 litres of ice cream across the desert without it melting; or designing a more efficient distribution network to enable us to store and deliver our products sustainably to our customers. Our Global Supply Chain includes approximately 100,000 employees who work with over 70,000 suppliers and 1.5 million farmers. We manage a logistics network that transports across a distance of over 1.5 billion km a year.
In the UK & Ireland, we are home to the production of PG Tips, Magnum, Pot Noodle, Persil and many more. Looking forward, we want to embrace the digital revolution in order to build a more agile, integrated and synchronized Supply Chain. Be part of the most successful purpose-led business in the world and see the true impact that you’re having in the work you do. There’s always a new challenge to tackle and our people have the opportunity to make a big impact every day on a local level, across Europe and the world.
The role is based in Gloucester, home to the production of the country’s beloved ice-creams such as Magnum and Wall’s!
You will be a Preventative Maintenance and Focussed Improvement specialist engaged to optimise the running and maintenance of equipment within the finished goods department. Where breakdowns occur, you will act to diagnose and troubleshoot faults and where necessary will recommend design improvements. You will also be intimately involved with setting the Maintenance Strategy for the palletisation equipment.
You will be professionally competent and qualified to operate safely at a post apprentice level in at least two of the principal engineering disciplines; mechanical, electrical or Instrumentation and Control. You will be mentally agile, an advanced problem solver actively engaged in maintaining a safe work environment, which protects product quality and reduces waste and other environmental impact. A positive contributor to the factory’s work environment and culture, you will act as a leading coach and mentor to Technical Operators around the areas of mechanical engineering and World Class Maintenance techniques.
- Mechanical Skills and Focused Technician; knowledge and application of technical skills and expertise to ensure the provision of effective engineering support within team, focused on delivering performance targets. Directly contributes to improved safety, quality, sustainability and cost.
- Preventative Maintenance Specialist and user of Condition Based Monitoring.
- Electrical Skills and Diagnostic Technician; Remove and replace major electrical components (such as motors, switch/control gear) and troubleshoot electrical circuits safely. Able to isolate machinery and re-install electrical supplies for machinery components.
Instrumentation and Control Skills:
- Demonstrate an understanding of the Internal Architecture of Programme Logic Control (PLC) and Distributed Control Systems (DCS); their Applications and Knowledge of the Number Systems they use.
- Amend control and software documentation.
- Manage PLC and Supervisory Control and Data Acquisition Networks (eg Programme modifications, Force Devices and fault finding).
Safety - Utilise all appropriate safety and environmental procedures for people, processes, materials, products and equipment to ensure a safe working environment for the whole team.
Environment - Reduce costs due to waste and minimise impact to health, safety and the environment through working to eliminate waste and through the correct management of waste and hazardous materials.
Quality - Ensure that all aspects of Quality within the area of responsibility are in accordance with local Quality procedures to protect and promote the brand and product.
Leadership - Promote the development of a highly effective team through strong communication, leading by example whilst keeping focused on goals and targets. Great teams and great leaders will achieve superior performance.
Continuous Improvement - Use performance measures to identify and prioritise losses within their area. Apply rigorous Cost Deployment and the Zero loss concept to eliminate losses.
WCM - Knowledge and understanding of the key principles of WCM and the impact this has on the Key Performance Indicators within their area.
Problem Solving - Has the ability to identify, prioritise and address problems using appropriate tools and techniques that eliminate recurrence.
Decision Making - Makes and implements technical decisions which can impact the plan for the week.
Project Management – Achieve the desired outcomes of the project in line with agreed plans using appropriate project management tools and techniques to ensure the efficient use of technical, financial and human resources.
Business Awareness - Understanding of the need to meet changing demands and the role of marketing and product innovation in growing the business and increasing the company's share.
ALL ABOUT YOU
- Post Apprenticeship Skill level in at least 2 of the 3 relevant engineering disciplines (as graded by national standards) Mechanical, Electrical, Instrumentation and Control
- HNC or equivalent engineering qualification
- Requires national School leaver qualifications in: English and Mathematics.
- Required to support report writing, data analysis, problem solving, mechanical calculations, leadership and coaching skills.
- Experience working on palletising machinery, wrapping machinery and labelling equipment is essential.
WHAT WE OFFER
Salary: £37,285.99 + Shift flex allowance £6,338.05
Hours: Monday – Friday + flexibility to cover some weekends and out of hours working where necessary
Unilever is a global Fast-Moving Consumer Goods company in the UK and Ireland. We are already on target to achieve our huge ambition to double the size of our business globally whilst reducing our environmental impact. We are growing our business and also doing what is right for our consumers, community and environment. We are developing brands for people’s lives today and for the changing environment tomorrow - making sustainable living commonplace.
Working at Unilever means that you get to take part in this exciting journey and work with amazing people who are really passionate about our large portfolio of famous brands. We want to improve billions of lives and you too can join us in making a sustainable difference.