EU Cluster Deploy Packaging Manager – Skin Care
EU Cluster Deploy Packaging Manager – Skin Care
Category: Skin Care Europe
Location: EU Deploy Team, Port Sunlight, UK
Unilever is one of the world’s leading suppliers of Food, Home and Personal Care products with sales in over 190 countries and reaching 2 billion consumers a day. Unilever has more than 400 brands found in homes around the world, including Persil, Dove, Knorr, Domestos, Hellmann’s, Lipton, Wall’s, PG Tips, Ben & Jerry’s, Marmite, Magnum and Lynx. Faced with the challenge of climate change and the need for human development, we want to move towards a world where everyone can live well and within the natural limits of the planet. That’s why our purpose is ‘to make sustainable living commonplace”
The role is based in Port Sunlight, Liverpool, where you can find our offices, factories and Research & Development Centre at your fingertips. Our purpose, to make sustainable living commonplace, is rooted in the history of the Port Sunlight site. It’s a thread that connects us to our founder, Lord Lever, and his social mission to improve health, hygiene and livelihoods.
The future begins in Research & Development (R&D). In R&D, you’ll find out what consumers want and need, and then design the science and technology to make our innovations come to life. We have over 6,000 R&D employees designing, creating and developing exciting new products using innovative technologies - from scientists and product development experts to professionals such as hairdressers and chefs who have the skills to evaluate new products. You could be designing and developing new innovations for brands like TRESemmé, Magnum, Cornetto and Domestos – straight from your team to the shelves!
At the core of our values is sustainability, and our teams are dedicated to making our products better for you, for our customers and for the world. We are committed to ensuring that all of our packaging is fully reusable, recyclable or compostable by 2025, and that we are using more recycled content. To achieve this, we collaborate closely either within the various R&D teams, with other Unilever colleagues like Marketeers and the Supply Chain, and with leading scientific experts from around the world.
The European Skin Care business is highly competitive, innovative and has strong brand positions, such as Dove, Simple & Vaseline. The EU R&D Deploy Skin Care team is responsible for all go-to-market activities for the EU portfolio, including launching new technologies in Europe and extending existing ranges; developing innovation and renovation projects for regional activities for global brands as well for local jewels. We also work closely with supply chain and procurement to deliver value improvement programs and to provide ongoing business support. The Deploy team works closely with the R&D Design (global development centres), cross-functional regional and country teams (marketing, sourcing units, procurement).
The Skin Care Deploy packaging team focus is on implementation of the packaging innovations and development of value improvement opportunities, mainly with plastic bottles and closures, tubes and flexibles. Corrugated secondary packaging and pallet plans are also developed
The primary purpose of this position is to manage a team of up to 5 reports and be responsible for all the R&D packaging elements of the EU Skin Care deploy programme, which includes innovation, renovation, VIP, simplification, 3PM clearance and qualification, and issue management. The person will also provide cross-functional leadership for the 5S and Sustainability programs and for key global/local brand portfolio management. The position requires strong people and project leadership, business acumen and stakeholder management.
- Ensure OTIF delivery of the packaging elements of the EU Skin Care innovation programme.
- Ensure OTIF delivery of the Value Improvement Program/Blue funnel programme, including moulded component approvals for mould refurbishment, and alternative supplier qualification. Lead the R&D program and manage delivery cross function (Packaging/formulation/processing)
- Ensure training and implementation of UPP (one Unilever Packaging Processes) and implement all relevant Packaging Excellence initiatives.
- Develop packaging in accordance with the One Unilever Packaging Process (1UPP).
- Act as packaging engineer on EU Skin Care projects. It is possible to take a Technical Project Leadership role on packaging-intensive projects and build relationships with main key Suppliers through innovation or Blue Funnel projects.
- Lead the expandable R&D program with 3rd parties, building the partnerships and managing the collaboration program with them
- Implement effective globally agreed Ways of Working, regarding Project- and data management (including specifications, Endeavour), 1U Packaging processes, applying a DOIT-model across interfaces.
- Implement global Pack strategy (global capability and Hair category)
- Pro-active and engaged contributions to the R&D Deploy Skin Care leadership team
All About You:
- Qualifications: Educated in Packaging Technology or a related engineering discipline
- Experience: established packaging manager with relevant working experience in packaging with FMCG company with a proven track record on project delivery, packaging development and qualification; packaging expertise of a range of packaging materials; experience with moulding and multi-component assembly technology; experience with team leadership,
- Experience of interfacing with other functions to support of project delivery, extensive knowledge and experience working with a range of packaging materials.
- A proven track record of delivering multiple projects in parallel, strong communication and leadership skills; influence skills, working experience with stakeholders
What We Offer
Not only do we offer a competitive salary, but also our pension scheme, an annual bonus, a free gym, a staff shop and shares. You’ll get the opportunity to work directly with our renowned and exciting brands in a flexible and agile environment. We strive to achieve a family-friendly culture and to, above all, create possibilities for all.
Diversity at Unilever is about inclusion, embracing differences, creating possibilities and growing together for better business performance. We embrace diversity in our workforce. This means giving full and fair consideration to all applicants and continuing development of all employees regardless of age, disability, gender reassignment, race, religion or belief, sex, sexual orientation, marriage and civil partnership, and pregnancy and maternity.