Factory Hygiene Lead
Role: Factory Hygiene Lead
Location: GL4 3BW
Hours: Full time Monday - Friday
The factory hygiene lead is responsible for leading the site hygiene programme and to support the manufacturing operation in all aspects cleaning and hygiene management. They are responsible to ensure all hygienic critical control points are managed pro-actively using HACCP methodology and to that hygienic best practices and standards are implemented and maintained.
The role holder is a key manager within the QA Team, reporting to site QA manager. They will bring technical knowledge, tenacity and a professional approach to ensure that high standards of hygiene are maintained and problems are overcome. This is predominantly a day based role but with the flexibility and drive to support the factory as and when business needs require.
About The Role:
In this role your responsibilities will include the following:
- Be the first point of contact, internally and externally, for anything relating to hygiene
- Implement, maintain and verify comprehensive cleaning schedules for production equipment and the manufacturing environment
- Maintain a product and mix allergen matrix and put in place rules for segregation and cleaning.
- Provide expert input and guidance into management of allergen or lifestyle related product claims e.g. dairy free, vegan including maintaining cleaning schedules and determining validation procedures
- Provide expert input into HACCP teams
- Provide support and expert input to project teams for new products and processes
- Deliver an on-going training programme to support effective cleaning and to educate staff about other food safety matters.
- Lead cleaning and disinfection validation studies, providing technical expertise and conducting hygienic assessments
- Implement and/or maintain monitoring programmes for process and environmental microbiological hygiene indicators.
- Drive the investigation of hygiene non-conformances and the necessary corrective actions.
- Lead improvement activity to increase the effectiveness of cleaning operations and hygiene standards across the site.
- Manage the service contracts for third party hygiene service providers e.g. pest control, chemical suppliers and cleaning providers
- Drive pest control programme for site by maintaining awareness driving completion of corrective actions.
- Manage the system for toxicological approval of food contact surfaces.
- Ability to deputise for the site QA Manager and cover other roles within the QA team
- Represent the site on European working groups concerning hygiene or other food safety matters
- Maintain FSSC 22000 certification taking ownership for hygiene aspects of the standard
- Safe management of hygiene related site contractors, issuing permits as required.
- Line management of any direct reports or technicians reporting in to the hygiene manager
- Identify and drive cost saving opportunities associated with cleaning, chemicals or hygiene in the site
- The nature of the 24/7 operation of the site means there will be occasions where this role will require work outside of core office hours
- Ideally you are educated to degree level, with a strong technical background and understanding of hygiene and food safety requirements.
- Proven experience working within food manufacturing, with a quality or hygiene background
- Previous experience working and deputising within a quality department
- Qualification, training or proven experience in hygienic design and processes
- Relevant experience in Quality Assurance/Laboratory and food safety management.
- A real leader and a dynamic individual who is prepared to take responsibility for departmental and site issues leading to resolutions.
- Self starter able to drive initiatives and solve problems when the arise without initial direction from their line manager
- Commitment-Belief in own job and its value to the organisation, makes extra effort for the company.
- Decisiveness –does not jump to conclusions and seeks a variety of solutions, analyses for best fit. Able and willing to make decisions
- Initiative – Actively influencing events rather than passively accepting. Seizes opportunities when they arise and act on them. Originates action.
- Leadership – the ability to motivate and manage people to achieve group objectives. Able to successfully influence peers working within other SU functions to achieve results.
- Constructively critiques performance and seeks improvement
- Experience in SAP applications would be an advantage