Global Sustainability Manager – Environment (6-month maternity cover)
MAIN JOB PURPOSE:
As Unilever concludes its 2010-2020 USLP, the Company is embarking on a new chapter as a purpose-led and future-fit multinational organisation. The Unilever Sustainability Team and its extended network provides strategic thought leadership, global partnership and advocacy capability, and subject matter expertise in support of the Divisions, Markets and Functions in support of Unilever’s vision to be the global leader in sustainable business.
The Climate & Environment team leads for the Unilever Compass imperative to “Improve the Health of the Planet”, supporting ULE in translating that imperative into goals and targets and supporting the business in translating that into policies, programmes and initiatives that deliver on our vision and our commitments.
2020 is considered an environmental ‘Super Year’ hosting high-level international summits on both biodiversity (UN Convention on Biological Diversity COP15, China) and climate change (UN Climate Change COP 26, Glasgow, TBC). These events will set the global context for the business response to the environmental challenges we face, both corporately and through our brands and key markets.
The Climate & Environment team is comprised of one director, one full-time manager, one part-time manager and one apprentice (joining Q4 2019). The team works flexibly and dynamically across a range of interconnected environmental issues including climate, energy, nature, biodiversity and water. The team works closely with the Global Sustainability Director – Plastics -and operates on a day to day basis as part of a seamless, networked team across the supply chain, communications and corporate affairs functions. This is the full-time manager role and a significant role within the team.
The purpose of the role is to provide strategic counsel and external insight to the business to enable it to respond effectively to the challenges and opportunities presented by the global environmental agenda, and to advance Unilever’s interests externally by shaping the global landscape in line with our objectives through a portfolio of advocacy platforms, partnerships and coalitions.
We are a small team and we flex responsibilities across the broad area of environment in order to meet the business’s changing needs and priorities.
This role will be responsible for specific work programmes within the climate & environment workplan. The specific programmes will be agreed with the individual based on business need at the time of appointment and also dependent on their knowledge and experience. The areas could include the nature & biodiversity, deforestation and agriculture or climate change agendas. Candidates should make clear in their application which of these areas they are most interested and in which they have any particular expertise or experience.
- Shape the external policy landscape though external stakeholder engagement (NGOs, governments, multilateral organisations) in line with Unilever’s objectives.
- Position Unilever as a leader on climate and environment.
- Lead specific existing external environmental partnerships, and support the creation of new ones as required by the business.
- Contribute to internal Unilever policy development on these issues.
- Draft briefing materials to support senior Unilever stakeholders (including CEO/ULE) engagement with environmental stakeholders.
Strategy and Partnerships
- Support the creation of company-wide strategies to deliver against the Unilever Compass imperative to “Improve the Health of the Planet”.
- Create opportunities for Unilever to shape the industry landscape, including working through multi-stakeholder coalitions to advance our agendas and manage risks.
- Provide subject matter expertise (including knowledge of the global environmental external partner landscape) to brands in partnership with the Divisional Sustainability Teams.
- Develop an understanding of new business models, including potential external funding streams and deploy this knowledge in support of Unilever’s strategy. (green funds, impact investment vehicles etc.).
- Ensure internal alignment on key nature topics and embed environmental strategy across the clusters and divisions
- Expert input to environmental disclosures and communication, including Unilever Sustainable Living Plan reporting, Unilever.com communications, CDP and DJSI reporting.
- Input to external announcements and press releases relating to the environmental agenda from both Unilever and the coalitions to which it belongs.
- Ability to analyze complex issue and stakeholder landscapes, simplify them for the business and develop positions and advocacy strategies grounded in that analysis.
- Ability to produce flawless written communication, with style and approach adapted for different audiences.
- Ability to get the best of out our complex web of stakeholders, effectively engaging and convening everyone from senior Unilever leadership and colleagues in other functions to external partners and experts around a common action-oriented agenda.
- Ability to blend strategic and tactical planning for maximum effect.
- Ability to translate personal passion and personal commitment to impactful opportunities for Unilever action.
- Significant experience of the global environmental agenda.
- Significant experience of working with external stakeholders.
- Experience of working with senior internal stakeholders.
- Experience of working in complex matrix organizations.
- Experience of preparing written briefings or proposals for internal stakeholders.
Please apply online and add your PDP if possible. Your application will be reviewed against our requirements and we will be in touch to provide you with an update on the status of your application.
By applying for this vacancy, you are confirming that you have made your Line Manager aware of your application and that you are at a point in your career with Unilever where it is appropriate for you to be applying for other positions.
Should you require additional information, please contact Recruiter Juliana Picon on Juliana.Picon@unilever.com