Government Services - Sector Support Account Manager
Salary starting at £30,325 with opportunities to increase to £33,260
The Met Office is an Executive Agency of the Department for Business, Energy & Industrial Strategy (BEIS) and is the UK’s internationally-renowned national meteorological service. We have been providing world-leading weather forecasts for more than 160 years and our public services and warnings are a part of everyday life for the people of Britain.
The Met Office's leading-edge capabilities assist the UK and the international community in meeting the twin challenges of forecasting the weather and understanding and planning for a changing climate. We deliver a wide range of services and expert advice to both public and private sector organisations.
We are currently looking for a self-motivated, flexible, team orientated individual to fill the role of an Account Manager supporting the work undertaken within the wider Government Services Directorate.
The Government Services (GS) Directorate is responsible for generating more than £200M pa of Met Office revenue and is facing significant challenge going forward with a Spending Review, continued pressure on public sector budgets and EU exit complications.
The purpose of the newly formed Business and Shared Services team is to provide leadership on Business Processes and Business Assurance as well as providing critical Business and Shared Services to enable the smooth and efficient running of all areas of the directorate. This opportunity is to join the team as the Sector Support Account Manager in the Business and Shared Services team and you will be responsible for providing high quality account management support for a number of Government accounts.
As Sector Support Account Manager you will be responsible for managing a number of relationships including Crown Dependencies and British Overseas territories accounts (Jersey, Isle of man, and Bermuda), UK Research and Innovation (UKRI) Accounts (e.g. NERC, EPSRC etc.) and British Antarctic Survey (BAS). You will also be required to work closely with other account and business managers across Government Services and the wider Met Office.
To effectively manage government customer accounts requiring specialist knowledge, in order to meet specific customer needs and deliver profitable revenue exploiting Met Office capabilities.
- Manage high impact accounts through building successful relationships and delivering to meet required standards. Achieve this through working in partnership with relevant teams in Government Services and other Met Office directorates
- Ensure all contractual arrangements, financial tracking and invoicing are accurate, auditable and up to date, in line with current Met Office business processes.
- Maintain an up to date awareness of customer landscape, including technical advances, regulatory and government policy changes or organisational changes influenced by either government or external environmental factors.
- Develop and utilise a good knowledge of existing and future forecasting, scientific, technical and/or other key capabilities to provide insightful information to customers to help identify service improvements and possibly new opportunities.
- Provide support to others in the team and in the wider Business and Shared Services team as required
Essential Qualifications, Skills & Abilities:
1. Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to build trusted, confident and valued working relationships with stakeholders and colleagues.
2. Good analytical skills with the ability problem solve multiple tasks simultaneously, identify priorities and risks and recognising when these should be escalated.
3. Good communication skills, including experience communicating technical information in a way that is easily understood.
4. Good business awareness, including financial management, and an ability to understand a customer’s needs and challenges.
5. Proven track record of taking ownership and responsibility for a project/deliverable, ensuring successful outcomes to a given timeline
6. Proven ability to provide excellent customer support, including management of customer expectations
Desirable Qualifications, Skills & Abilities:
1. Account management experience.
2. Contract Management experience, with the ability to negotiate using persuasive arguments.
Additional Supplementary Information:
To apply, please click on the ‘apply’ button below.
Closing date 18/07/2019 with interviews being held on 30/07/2019 & 01/08/2019. Please note that you will be notified if you are successful or unsuccessful.
Should you be offered an interview, please be aware there may be a selection exercise which could include a presentation, written test or a scenario-based activity. If you require any reasonable adjustments during these exercises, please include this information in your application.
Please note, when joining the Met Office all new employees will start on the salary band minimum.
Please note that successful candidate/s will be required to satisfactorily undergo security clearance checks. This will generally require the candidate to have lived in the UK for at least three out of the last five years.
This recruitment post is not offering UK Visa and Sponsorship and therefore requires all applicants to be eligible to work within the UK / EU without restriction. If you are a non–EU candidate, you will be required to provide and attach all relevant eligibility documentation to your application at the time of applying.
For operational reasons this post will be based in Exeter HQ. Some infrequent UK travel may be required with this role.