Group Payroll Manager
Bulb is an independent energy supplier that provides 100% renewable energy to homes and businesses across the UK. In 4 years, Bulb has reached over £1.5 billion in annualised revenue and supplies over 1.7 million members.
We have developed a unique model to deliver affordable renewable energy to homes and businesses while, at the same time, giving the best-rated customer service. We achieve this by hiring great people and giving them leverage with great technology.
We are the first and only UK energy supplier to achieve B Corp status. We believe people are ready for an energy company they can feel good about. It’s an exciting time to join as we continue to grow rapidly in the UK, plus we are launching in France, Spain and Texas this year with lots more international expansion in the pipeline.
As the Payroll Manager you'll manage the payroll process from start to finish in UK as well as in our three international markets France, Spain and the US . You’ll be working with our external providers and internal stakeholders to ensure all of our employees get paid accurately and on time. You will have a key focus on ‘making it better’ by building out our processes, introducing new policies and utilising technology to ensure we are best practice. You'll be a key part of the people team working closely on all reward projects, owning our pension scheme and administering our benefits programs. You will partner with the wider business liaising closely with finance and reporting to the Chief People Officer. We are open to someone wishing to work 3-4 days a week.
- Managing the monthly end-to-end payroll process to predefined timescales across four markets and for 800 team members
- Providing Team Bulb with help and support with their pay and tax related queries
- Improving processes and workflows and automating our operations while we scale
- Ensuring deadlines and expectations are met, managing day to day activities and building good relations
- Working closely with Finance and People colleagues to ensure joint processes are adhered to and work efficiently
- Maintaining our statutory responsibilities including pensions auto-enrolment, gender pay reporting, etc.
- Administering and communicating Bulb’s benefit programmes (medical and health, cycle to work etc)
- Payroll oversight including payroll forecasting, P11D and P60 production, and supporting audits
- Managing the relationship with our outsourced system processor
- A strong understanding of Payroll and HR systems
- Experience of working in a fast-growing company or a large organisation
- Strong pension knowledge and experience
- 3 years’ experience in a similar role
- Preferably accredited with a recognised payroll qualification (e.g. CIPP)
- Attention to detail, meticulous and a desire to drive the highest standards whilst ensuring deadlines are met
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Understanding of UK Employment Law and best practices
- Ability to maintain confidentiality and exercise a highest level of discretion
- Excellent problem solving/judgment skills
- Strong organisational skills and the ability to work under pressure
- Ability to handle and prioritise multiple tasks and meet deadlines in a complex environment
- Be part of a growing technology startup and help shape the future of energy
- Collaborative, flexible, and friendly environment
- Competitive salary, share options, and bonus
- 33 days holiday a year (including bank holidays) and the option to buy up to 5 more
- 12 weeks of full pay for maternity, paternity or adoption leave
- Healthcare, life insurance, and a pension plan with employer contributions
- Cycle to work scheme; activities to improve your mental & physical well being, including office yoga and meditation; monthly team socials
- One month sabbatical leave after your first year
- Tea, coffee, fruit and snacks throughout the day
- Free breakfast on Mondays