Head of Account Management
HM Land Registry is a successful, high-performing, innovative organisation. For more than 150 years HM Land Registry (HMLR) has protected and guaranteed people’s land and property rights by keeping and maintaining the Land Register for England and Wales. HMLR's ambition and transformational agenda are set out in its Business Strategy
Birkenhead, North West, CH41 6DU : Croydon, London, CR0 2AQ : Coventry, West Midlands, CV1 3BH : Durham, North East, DH1 5TR : Weymouth, South West, DT4 9TT : Gloucester, South West, GL1 1DQ : Kingston upon Hull, Yorkshire and the Humber, HU2 8JN : Leicester, East Midlands, LE3 5DR : Nottingham, East Midlands, NG1 7AU : Peterborough, Eastern, PE1 1QF : Plymouth, South West, PL6 5WS : Preston, North West, PR4 1TE : Swansea, Wales, SA7 9FQ : Telford, West Midlands, TF3 4LR
About the job
You will develop and lead the Account Management team to ensure HMLR’s customers are managed in line with our Customer Strategy and customer management plan. Identifying and delivering improvements will be a key focus to this role, which will provide mutual benefit for HMLR and our customers that meet our stretching strategic objectives and KPIs. The Head of Account Management will co-ordinate account management and engagement across all HMLR directorates and groups, driving best practice and ensuring that our customers are effectively managed throughout HMLR’s transformation portfolio activity and that the voice of the customer is brought back into the organisation.
Regular travel will be required to visit customers and other HMLR offices. Overnight stays will be necessary.
Your key responsibilities, although not exhaustive, will be to:
• Develop and deliver the account management plan, ensuring that stretching targets are delivered through the team, with particular focus on rework reduction, application quality, new product uptake and generating, sharing and actioning customer insight.
• Define the relationships with HMLRs key strategic customers and through the Account Management team strategic account planning process, build and develop the relationships for mutual benefit. Own identified accounts through robust account plans and ensure devolved customer engagement is standardised and in line with the customer management plan.
• Lead and develop the Account Management team to deliver a professional service, driving a culture of continuous learning and development, which supports delivery of the Customer Strategy.
• Act as Head of Profession within HMLR.
• Develop strong working relationships with the Corporate Communications team to deliver consistent and timely messaging to customers and run campaigns to support and drive key initiatives e.g. digital mortgage uptake.
• Work collaboratively with key stakeholders across the organisation to drive continuous process and system improvements and ensure timely delivery to customers.
• Champion the voice of the customer within HMLR, ensuring effective change management support is provided to the customer.
• Drive improved customer and market insight to ensure HMLR activity meets changing needs.
• Develop effective reporting to drive improvement in managing customers (e.g. extend customer knowledge base) to inform and build internal colleagues’ understanding of customer needs.
• Identify and manage potential risks to customer management and engagement, providing contingencies and recommendations for remedial action / mitigation.
Additional responsibilities include:
• Direct line management for the Account Management Team.
• Budget holder acts in line with requirements detailed in personal letter of delegation from Accounting Officer. Approx. £30k Travel and Subsistence. Training, development and conference budget is covered centrally.
This role requires someone who has perhaps worked in the bank sector, privatised utilities or large SMEs (where political influencing is different but also sensitive) in regulated industries. It would be beneficial to have someone who has had some experience of working in the legal sector and banking (retail / commercial) to understand how that market works and the technical environment that goes with it.
In terms of sector experience, we appreciate candidates from a strong technical & change environment. Those with manufacturing backgrounds are attractive from a process point of view (and being operationally led) where there’s a cross over with digital. Manufacturing and operationally led experience is also welcomed, providing you have experience in other sectors to balance this out (from a more fast-moving world). FMCG exposure is a benefit but not a pre-requisite. It would be advantageous to have fast turnaround results and reporting brought in but we would also like to see b2b experience within that (and/or channel experience).
We are looking for a typical sales personality with the balance to be able to nurture & develop people and respect existing cultures. You will need to have the energy to continue to drive change and best practice in an environment where the majority of people won’t have the experience of private sector, mature sales and marketing environments.
It is essential that you are able to demonstrate the following skills and experience in your application and at interview:
• Significant experience of strategic account management with tangible, demonstrable results
• Evidence of influencing and relationship building at a senior level that has delivered change
• Experienced in managing multiple stakeholders to achieve results
• Inspiring and experienced change leader, leading a new team through change
• High energy, high impact, results orientated leader with the ability to challenge and navigate the politics of a large organization
• Evidence of articulating a strategic vision, mobilising a team behind it, and delivering on the execution
• An advocate for the customer at all times and able to influence decision making across the organisation to take the customer into account, particularly during transformation change activity
• Able to drive and deliver change for an enhanced customer experience across the organisation
• Able to capture accurate customer insight data and effectively analyse and communicate key findings to strategic stakeholders in the organisation to inform changes to process, policy, systems and behaviours
• Excellent inter-personal skills and ability to build positive and successful strategic relationships
• Ability to manage conflict / sensitive issues to deliver positive results
• Ability to set up new processes within a new team and be highly effective quickly
• Able to coach and develop a team promoting a culture of continuous improvement and development.
It would be beneficial or advantageous if applicants had experience of:
• Strong leadership and stakeholder abilities, with the demonstrable ability to take people with you
• Strong communication, influencing and persuasion skills
• Customer Account Management Skills
• Experience of team management
• Previous experience in BD, Sales, Account management.
• Results orientation – to demonstrate tenacity to deliver, leading by example and know the basics not leaving the delivery to everyone else– i.e. can coach with credibility and pull from experience (of challenging situations).
• Experience of working in a variety of cultures. e.g. corporates but also smaller sections / businesses i.e. can turn your hand as needed but can also do the political influencing (and not get overly frustrated by it!)
• Will be enthusiastic, energised and able to lead by example but recognise the environment you’re working in i.e. immature for sales & marketing activity and often driven by external events outside the organisation’s control (though very similar to group structures / regulated / competitive considerations there is obviously less control than private sector. There are multi-multiple stakeholders i.e. different departments)
• Would suit an experienced account manager who has the gravitas (and desire) to move in to a leadership role in name (i.e. have built their experience elsewhere & have the experience of running, leading and developing a team and will have strong stakeholder influencing skills i.e. they may have developed skills through different cultures / roles). Also need to be able to balance multi-stakeholders (potentially with strong, important and conflicting views)
• The role needs a collaborator but one who is focused on delivery and tenacious to keep that moving whilst taking others with them.
We'll assess you against these behaviours during the selection process:
- Changing and Improving
- Communicating and Influencing
- Managing a Quality Service
Whatever your role, we take your career and development seriously at HMLR and want to enable you to build a really successful career with the Department and wider Civil Service. It is crucial that our employees have the right skills to develop their careers and meet the challenges ahead and you will benefit from regular performance and development reviews to ensure this development is ongoing. As a Civil Service employee, you will be entitled to a large range of benefits.
Click here to read more about our rewards package:
Working for Land Registry
Read what it is like to be part of the HMLR team:
Things you need to know
Successful candidates must pass a disclosure and barring security check.
Selection process details
This vacancy is using Success Profiles, and will assess your Behaviours, Strengths and Experience.
To apply for this post, you will need to complete the online application process which includes completing the two forms outlined below:
1. A CV setting out your career history, with key responsibilities and achievements. Please ensure you have provided reasons for any gaps within the last two years
2. A Personal Statement (no longer than 1250 words) explaining how you consider your personal skills, qualities and experience provide evidence of your suitability for the role, with particular reference to the essential 'experience' criteria in the job description.
This should be completed no later than 23:55, Monday 25 November 2019.
Failure to complete both forms (CV and Personal Statement) will mean the panel only have limited information on which to assess your application against the criteria.
The sift will take place shortly after the closing date with interviews being held mid December 2019, the interview location is to be confirmed.
• If shortlisted, you will be asked to attend an interview, which will consist of a pre-prepared presentation and an in-depth discussion of your previous experience and professional competence.
• Full details of the assessment process will be made available to shortlisted candidates
Please see attached candidate guidance for further information.
If you would like further information about the use of your personal data, please click on the link below:
Job Applicant Personal Information
Feedback will only be provided if you attend an interview or assessment.
Working for the Civil Service
The Civil Service Code sets out the standards of behaviour expected of civil servants.
We recruit by merit on the basis of fair and open competition, as outlined in the Civil Service Commission's recruitment principles.
The Civil Service embraces diversity and promotes equality of opportunity. There is a guaranteed interview scheme (GIS) for candidates with disabilities who meet the minimum selection criteria.