Head of International HR
Leonard Cheshire is a pioneering provider of highly impactful education, employment and care services with the aim of supporting individuals to live, learn and work as independently as they choose, whatever their ability. Founded in 1948, we have grown to support thousands of disabled people across the globe and have an ambitious growth strategy internationally.
Children with disabilities are often denied a school place in developing countries because of stigma and discrimination. Despite being UK based, we implement projects in many countries in Africa and Asia including inclusive education programmes, - getting more than 44,000 children with disabilities a school place for the first time.
UN figures show that as many as 80% of working age people with disabilities are unemployed, continuing a cycle of poverty, discrimination and marginalisation in some of the most deprived countries in the world. We have expanded our flagship work and employment programmes in some of these countries, and by working in partnership, we support even more people into meaningful employment. Last year more than 13,000 people with disabilities were supported by this work. The recognition of our unique experience and expertise in this area has led to major increases in the funding and grants we have received and has also led to us heading up a unique new global consortium to support into waged employment around 10,000 people with disabilities in Bangladesh and Kenya.
About the Role
The key responsibilities of this challenging and exciting role include:
- Leading on the development and embedding of the international People Strategy in line with the overall Leonard Cheshire People Strategy and in support of the International Strategy.
- Ensure the delivery of high-quality customer support to the International directorate on people processes, by monitoring operational effectiveness and consistency of support.
- Build and develop strong positive relationships with key stakeholders and continuing to create a values-driven, high performing culture.
- Work with the International senior team to identify talent potential and put in place succession plans and innovative ways to build career opportunities.
- Provide expert advice and guidance to enable managers to be effective and to develop them as strong leaders.
- Analyse international workforce trends, associated developments and any critical issues which influence employment practices to support high performance and inform management action.
- Lead on the implementation of the reward strategy in consultation with the Reward team, localising the approach as appropriate.
We are seeking an exceptional and well qualified senior HR professional with a track record of developing and delivering innovative HR policies and processes in an international setting. You will bring significant experience in all aspects of international HR leadership and management in a senior business partnering capacity and possess an understanding of the HR requirements in the charitable/humanitarian sectors, particularly in Asia, Africa and the UK. You will have strong and sound knowledge of international employment legislation and have demonstrable experience and understanding of diverse cultural issues in different regions of the world and how these can be accommodated within a People strategy.
You will have a demonstrable empathy with the values and ethos of Leonard Cheshire.
A willingness to travel internationally is required.
Leonard Cheshire prides itself on being a ‘Disability Confident Leader’ and part of ‘Inclusive Employers’.
Leonard Cheshire welcomes applications from all sections of the community. We actively encourage applications from people with a disability, supporting where possible, your requirements for reasonable adjustments.
Shortlisting for this role may take place as applications are received. We therefore reserve the right to close this vacancy once a suitable candidate has been appointed.
Closing Date: 16 October 2019