Head of Machine Learning Engineering
Origami is a fast-moving technology company working towards transforming the energy industry. Our vision is for a green energy world, powered by smart technology and we’re on a mission to help energy companies make better, faster decisions within an energy system increasingly dominated by renewables. With renewables supplying a much higher proportion of total energy, we are seeing a glimpse of the physical and market volatility we can expect in the years ahead.
We are evolving a suite of interoperable and configurable cloud-based software product modules to help our customers meet the challenges of increasing complexity and volatility head on. Energy companies will be able to optimise decisions in real-time - improving their trading performance; unlocking exciting new customer propositions; and investing in low carbon assets to accelerate the energy transition. Our evolving technology platform is at the forefront of an exciting technology transformation in the energy sector - here in the UK to start with, with plans for global scale.
Are you a hands-on, Head-of? Or maybe you’re a Manager or Lead looking to take a step up? Either way you'll have the experience and confidence to represent Origami’s ML approach with both internal stakeholders and customers, whilst being able to provide the technical leadership skills to hit the ground running to scale our teams and evolving ML pipelines, turning raw customer data into the valuable forecasts and optimised decision-making at the heart of our real-time renewable energy optimisation platform.
Please note, we have an office on the Cambridge Science Park and a home working contingent in London with the possibility of finding a London office soon. We are happy to consider either locations to find the right person for this role.
What you’ll do
- Lead and scale a team of Data Scientists and Engineers responsible for innovating and building AI and ML frameworks at the heart of our product suite for Real-Time Energy Optimisation.
- Plan and deliver the short, medium & long-term Machine Learning Strategy & Roadmap.
- Establish an appropriate balance of research, innovation and evolution of Data Science and Machine Learning techniques, balanced with lean agile product delivery.
- Work closely with Product Management, Commercial and Technology teams to establish a highly cohesive product suite, technical architecture and high performing organisation.
- Communicate the Machine Learning strategy and its progress to senior stakeholders, as well as represent Origami and our approach to Machine Learning to customers and at industry events.
- Support the commercial and product teams discover new opportunities for innovative uses of our data.
- Own the vision, strategy and roadmap for our Machine Learning and AI strategy for a globally scalable platform.
- Drive a data culture in the wider organisation and be the authority for all things data.
You belong in this team if
- Data is what gets you up in the morning!
- You naturally lead by example and are happy to support the collaborative and respectful team we have built here.
- You are passionate and motivated by a job where you can really make a difference - our aim is to accelerate renewables adoption by making renewables financially attractive.
- You are collaborative and consultative, with a clear focus on the delivery needs of the business.
A bit about you
- You’re an experienced Leader of Machine Learning or Data Science teams.
- You’re an expert in AI/Machine Learning applications and predictive modelling.
- You have a strong understanding of data science fundamentals and the underlying math of common algorithms and machine learning frameworks.
- You have experience in deep/AI & Machine Learning frameworks such as TensorFlow and a range of available cloud ML services.
- You have solid coding skills in Python – efficient, well-documented and maintainable modules.
- You have strong experience building products involving productionised models used by multiple customers.
- You can effectively communicate data science solutions with stakeholders, and have a track record in building solutions from beginning to end.
- You have experience with data pipelines and end-to-end data science solutions deployment.
What’s in it for you?
We have an open, honest and trusting culture here at Origami. Apart from the unparalleled opportunity to be at the forefront of revolutionising global energy markets, we’re proud of the culture we’ve built here, and what we offer our people to sweeten the deal!
- Due to COVID-19 we have mostly been working from home, but as we begin returning to the office I must mention our newly renovated offices on the Cambridge Science Park with a dedicated kitchen and communal area, creative and inspiring meeting rooms and breakout workspaces. Oh and free breakfast!
- We want you to work in a way that suits you! So we promote flexible working hours, working from home and an informal dress code. We are always open to hearing about new and wonderful ways of working!
- Rest and re-generate with 25 days holiday.
- It’s important to us that everyone fully owns their role and contribution to our vision, what better way to reward this than equity in the company?
- Vitality Private Medical Insurance, a cash health plan (optical, dental, complimentary treatments etc.) and a life insurance policy worth 4x your salary
- Cycle to work scheme, with bike storage & showers.
- Enhanced maternity and paternity leave.
- Refer a friend bonus of £1,500 net.
- Employee Assistance Programme (24/7 helpline/CBT).
- We want you to follow your passions, so take 2 volunteering days a year for the cause of your choice.
- Hack Fridays - one day a month to focus on your development and work on your creative projects.
- Quarterly catered all-company meetings and recognition, plus regular team socials and a super special Christmas Party at Queens College Cambridge .
- Stay with us for 4 years, and along with your long service award you’ll get an extra week's holiday and £1,000 net!