Head of Strategic Planning
Salary will start at £56,050 with opportunities to progress within the role up to the maximum of £61,458.
A member of the People Directorate Management Team, reporting to the AD Strategic People Lead. This position will lead the Centre of Excellence within the People Directorate, providing forward thinking plans, policy and subject matter expertise in workforce planning, talent management, early careers, total reward, wellbeing, ED&I and management information and systems reporting.
The People Directorate is integral to the delivery of the overall business strategy. Providing the foundations of attracting, recruiting, rewarding, motivating and developing our employees. We do this through our People Strategy and an effective EVP that makes the Met Office a “Great Place to Work”
The Head of Strategic Planning will provide expertise to the business through the Strategic Planning function which will deliver a Centre of Excellence Service to drive the strategic direction of the People Directorate.
This role will be required to create the new Strategic Planning function and embed “ways of working” both within the People Directorate and across the business. It requires an ability to influence and innovate, review, revise, create and transform to a new effective and efficient centre of expertise that delivers value and results
Additional Supplementary Information:
To apply, please click on the link below and attach the most recent version of your CV, along with a cover letter which briefly (no more than two-pages) states your experience against each essential and desirable criteria.
Key Dates: Closing date 09/11/2020 with interviews expected week commencing 07/12/2020. Please note that you will be notified if you are successful or unsuccessful.
Should you be offered an interview, please be aware there may be a selection exercise which could include a presentation, written test or a scenario-based activity. If you require any reasonable adjustments during these exercises, please include this information in your application.
At present, all interviews will take place remotely via Skype.
Please note, when joining the Met Office all new employees will start on the salary band minimum.
This role will nominally be based in Exeter but we will consider applicants wishing to work elsewhere within the UK.
This recruitment post is not offering UK Visa and Sponsorship and therefore requires all applicants to be eligible to work within the UK / EU without restriction. If you are a non–EU candidate, you will be required to provide and attach all relevant eligibility documentation to your application at the time of applying.
Please note that successful candidate/s will be required to satisfactorily undergo security clearance checks. This will generally require the candidate to have lived in the UK for at least three out of the last five years.
We recognise that Great Minds Don’t Think Alike. Consequently, the Met Office is committed to working towards being a more diverse and inclusive organisation and to valuing and utilising visible and invisible individual differences. This includes continually striving to create a positive and open environment in which to work, along with ensuring that there are no barriers implicit in our policies or procedures preventing people from performing to the best of their ability. We are a “Disability Confident” employer, Mindful Employer, and we hold an Athena Swan Bronze award for our work on gender equality. We are proud to have a variety of staff-led networks who constantly work with us to enable everyone to fulfil their full potential. We are taking measures throughout our Recruitment process to tackle unconscious bias, and we apply the Civil Service Code to ensure that everyone is recruited on merit, fairness and open competition.
- Responsible for all aspects of the Strategic Planning function which provides a centre of excellence in the People Directorate.
- Link the business strategy to the People Directorate Strategy and develop a programme of work to develop capability and capacity
- Building collaborative relationships with key stakeholders across the business to develop strategic workforce plans for the future
- Lead, manage, resource and develop a team of subject matter experts to deliver an efficient and effective service.
- Review existing ways of working, developing and embedding new best practice where appropriate.
- Continually develop best practice personally and within the Strategic Planning function through engaging internally and externally with industry and legislative developments.
- Analyse and gather insight from HR and business data analytics to inform decision-making.
- Oversight of the diversity and inclusion agenda ensuring that different thinking and voices are represented within the business.
Essential Qualifications, Skills & Abilities:
- Strategic thinking where you can feed workforce and business needs into workforce planning and talent development strategy, translating strategies into solutions
- Experience in developing people-focused interventions that support performance, talent, leadership capability, workforce planning, behavioural and cultural change
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills – forging trusted, strong and influential relationships with demanding senior stakeholders
- Evidence of providing proactive, customer focused and pragmatic HR expertise that adds value to the organisation.
- Strong leadership and management experience with a track record in managing team performance with a focus on delivering on time and in full
- Experience of managing transition and transformation
- MCIPD member of the Chartered Institute of Personnel and Development (CIPD) or equivalent relevant professional qualification or HR/ general management knowledge.
Desirable Qualifications, Skills & Abilities:
- Previously held a Centre of Excellence role and can demonstrate results.
- Cross sector experience - working with or across different sectors or organisations.