At Motorola Solutions, we create technologies our customers refer to as their lifeline. Our technology platforms in communications, software, video and services help our customers work safely and more efficiently. Whether it’s helping firefighters see through smoke, enabling police officers to see around street corners, or reliably keeping the lights on in homes and businesses around the world, our work supports those who put their lives on the line to keep us safe. Bring your passion, potential and talents to Motorola Solutions, and help us usher in a new era in public safety and security.
The Technical Design team within UK Managed Services has responsibility for the generation of designs for a wide range of Customer and internal Technical Services. The group holds the in-life Technical Design Authority for these Technical Services and is responsible for ongoing design changes and technology refresh strategies for both the Airwave service and Emergency Services Network (ESN). Designs are generated both internally and by working with external suppliers.
The technical Design Team resides with the Service Design organisation and works closely with other teams within this group, such as Service Design & Introduction
This role is located in either Rugby or Hemel Hempstead.
The IP Architect role will form part of multi-disciplined technology teams to design and deliver complex mission critical voice and data systems within MSI Airwave. The systems may be used directly by our customers or by MSI Airwave to deliver Managed Services to our customers. The IP Architect will work in the post sales phases of projects and may support multiple projects in parallel.
The IP Architect is a central role which supports the Technical Services team and other specialist MSI Airwave internal teams, providing generic documentation, templates, tools and act as one of a small team of SMEs for the IP Network related aspects of the Airwave Services.
Main duties are to ensure that each IP Network system component of the overall solution:
• Work together with the other sub-systems as designed.
• Satisfy the requirements of the customer.
• Meets the needs of end users and MSI Airwave operational support teams.
At a top level, day-to-day duties will include:
• Work within multiple parallel IP network related projects, breaking down large system requirements into manageable parts.
• Devising and advising on strategy and re-usability of IP network systems and solutions within the broader MSI Airwave organisation.
• Researching 3rd party IP network products/accessories and/or solutions together with external parties.
• Act as the single point of contact to represent IP architectural solutions to customers, and where appropriate, driving the strategy for their implementation.
• Being the Subject Matter Expert for IP network related design/solution to customers, project teams and management.
• Developing test strategies to ensure the IP network solution(s) work as designed and requirements are fulfilled.
• Ensuring IP transport systems meet quality and security standards.
• Maintaining accurate records of IP network design steps and design decisions taken.
• Maintaining regular dialogue with key stakeholder and project managers to ensure they are informed of progress, decisions and changes.
• Advising senior managers about IP network solutions and issues as well as future needs.
• Creating or maintaining IP network design/configuration templates for project team to reuse
• Answering ad-hoc technical questions from project teams and customers.
The IP Architect role will own/manage the following activities;
1. Development, delivery and the maintenance of High Level Designs (HLD) and Low Level Design Documentation (LLD).
2. Leading reviews of detailed design documentation to ensure consistency and alignment with the HLD.
3. Support Technical Change Management
4. Technical Design Authority for IP networks within MSI Airwave.
5. Support procurement process.
6. Serve as a subject matter expert (SME) for the IP Network design area, including processes, technical components, interfaces and security, both internally within Motorola and externally with customer and suppliers.
7. Analyse customer requirements determining technical solutions to meet those requirements.
8. Documenting the design and preparing project materials (HLD, LLD, Design documentation).
9. Resource estimates to deliver the solution.
10. Presenting solution designs to customers and senior internal stakeholders talking knowledgeably about industry best practices for the solution technology and services.
11. Develop and maintain sets of generic documentation, templates and tools to help project.
This role is located in either Rugby or Hemel Hempstead.
The Architect will have a strong background in the design/deployment of IP Network systems solutions within the mobile communications or IT industry.
The following skills are considered essential:
- Strong demonstrable background in designing IP network technologies and architectures.
- Strong demonstrable knowledge on IP Network routing protocols (e.g. BGP, OSPF) and QoS related technologies.
- Networking related certifications from any leading company such as Cisco (e.g at least to CCDP and CCNP certification level).
- Thorough understanding of technical security design within IP networking (IPSec, Firewall).
- Experience of complex project integration including interface definition.
- Good communication skills and confidence to present solutions to potential customers.
The following skills are considered highly desirable:
- Understanding of Public Safety applications and solutions
- Knowledge of relevant IP Network related standards e.g IEEE, IETF etc
- Secure remote access solutions
- Network monitoring & performance reporting
- OSS integration support for fault management and alarm correlation
Knowledge or experience in the following areas would be beneficial;
- Knowledge of Mobile network platforms and services.
- ITIL, TOGAF, TM Forum Frameworx including eTOM , Agile, PMP.
- Experience of working in a pre-sales environment (e.g. proposal response, customer presentations, etc)