IT Operations Senior IT Practitioner
Salary will start at £30325with opportunities to progress within the role up to the maximum of £ 33260. Plus an unsocial hours Shift Allowance, £4000, a discretionary Market Supplement value of £1125 and a discretionary long-term incentive plan of £2300 (subject to periodical review).
As a world leader in providing weather and climate services, the Met Office employs more than 1,700 people at 60 locations throughout the world. We are a National Weather Service, managed as a trading fund, under the ownership of UK Government’s Department for Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy (BEIS), creating thousands of tailored forecasts and briefings a day, delivered to a huge range of customers including the government, international businesses and the general public.
The IT and Customer Service (ITCS) team provide 1st and 2nd Line customer support for many of the Met Office's systems and services on a 24/7 basis through the Weather Desk and IT Operations. As a Senior IT Practitioner in IT Operations, you will work along with colleagues across the Met Office to ensure effective and efficient support of customer services to a wide range of internal and external customers.
Embedded alongside expert meteorologists within the Operations Centre of our Exeter HQ, you will be responsible for delivering customer support to a range of services including the dissemination of products to vital operational systems, the underlying web based infrastructure and forecast production systems, all to save and improve lives and infrastructure in the UK and around the World.
Additional benefits you will find include free car parking, an onsite gym, access to the Civil Service Sports Council and corporate discounts. To find out more about our benefits, click here.
Additional Supplementary Information:
At present we are looking to fill a vacancy within the Network Incident Manager (NIM) Team.
However, successful candidates will be considered for any future vacancies with the IT Ops structure at Senior IT Practitioner banding including the position of Production Systems Analyst (PSA).
The PSA role is responsible more monitoring and providing 2nd line support for the physical Cray supercomputer and the suites of jobs that run on it, the GPCS on the mainframe, the HPSS storage systems and other production systems.
Both NIM and PSA roles are integrated in the 24/7 365 Operations Centre, were you will working closely with the Chief Meteorologists and the Environment Agency Flood Forecasting Centre, to ensure we help you make better decisions to stay safe and thrive for UK PLc and members of the public.
To apply, please click on the ‘apply’ button below.
Key Dates: Closing date 09/02/2020 with interviews expected week commencing 02/03/2020. Please note that you will be notified if you are successful or unsuccessful.
Should you be offered an interview, please be aware there may be a selection exercise which could include a presentation, written test or a scenario-based activity. If you require any reasonable adjustments during these exercises, please include this information in your application.
Please note, when joining the Met Office all new employees will start on the salary band minimum.
For operational reasons this post will be based in Exeter.
Please note that successful candidate/s will be required to satisfactorily undergo security clearance checks. This will generally require the candidate to have lived in the UK for at least three out of the last five years.
We are a “Disability Confident” employer, Mindful Employer, with an Athena Swan Bronze award for our work on gender equality and an LGBTi network.
Based at the heart of the Met Office IT Operations team, you will coordinate and manage customer data and IT infrastructure incidents based on ITIL Incident Management framework in order to restore services as quickly as possible minimising the disruption to the business.
You will be supporting critical operational services running over a variety of platforms, providing first and second line support to customers and colleagues to ensure 24/7 service continuity. Becoming the focal point for incident escalation with customers, suppliers and colleagues, and responsible for managing several incidents at any one time.
- As an escalation point you will manage & drive, network & IT infrastructure incident to a successful outcome, dealing with all relevant issues. Representing IT Operations during major incidents at Director lead meetings.
- Working closely with 1st and 3rd line support, you need excellent relationship skills to deal with customers, suppliers, and support teams to get maximum cooperation during the incident resolution process. Ensuring complex incidents are managed within Met Office procedures, prioritising and categorising them as appropriate to ensure no breaches of customer agreements.
- You will need to apply sound technical knowledge to investigate and identify root causes of customer or system issues and resolve them so that systems continue to meet customer requirements, escalating as necessary, usually without the guidance from others in a global real time operations environment.
- The role requires reviewing technical and support documents, customising the messages to suit the target audience, to enable quick incident resolution, to “on time in full” international and defence customers.
- As a senior member of the operations team you will help to author incident reports and drive improvement across the organisation in order to achieve exceptional levels of service quality and availability.
- Being there when our customers need us is crucial, especially during Weather impacts across the UK, ensures this can be a fast-moving role requiring a flexible approach to work, right up to the moment the service is restored.
Essential Qualifications, Skills & Abilities:
- Customer-oriented, must able to demonstrate a strong customer and service focused approach and demonstrate ability to communicate technically complex information effectively with internal and external customers at all levels.
- Proven team-working skills with an ability to prioritise workloads and take a flexible approach in applying technical knowledge to solve complex problems and ensure service continuity and customer satisfaction.
- Sound knowledge and proven experience in operating/supporting a variety of IT Systems in an operational environment, with evidence of successfully managing and adapting to change.
- A good understanding of Linux and Windows operating systems and command line interfaces as well as standard network protocols such as FTP and HTTP.
- Demonstrable knowledge of AWS Cloud Services to the Level of an AWS Certified Cloud Practitioner and either hold or be willing to work towards this certification
Desirable Qualifications, Skills & Abilities:
- Qualified to ITIL Foundation level or a willingness to work towards gaining this qualification.
- Experience in use of System monitoring tools and Service Management Software (e.g. Service Now, Nagios/ Manager of Managers (MoM) etc.) although full training will be given.