The Met Office's vision is to be recognised as the best weather and climate service in the world. TIS are the programme within the Met Office responsible for the delivery and support of IT Services and Systems that enable the Met Office to deliver this vision. Within the Infrastructure & Operations part of TIS, the Corporate Database team is responsible for delivering and supporting database systems.
Our reward package
The Met Office is recruiting for a IT Practitioner based at Exeter. As our IT Practitioner , the starting salary will be £24146.00 with opportunities to progress to £26641.00 over time. New joiners to the Met Office will start on the salary band minima.
Our total reward package is potentially worth up to £34,693 per annum, which includes basic salary, potential corporate bonus, employer pension contributions. Additionally, this role attracts a market forces supplement of £1,125 per annum paid quarterly, pro-rated from the date of taking up the appointment to 31 March 2022 - this scheme is currently under review.
We also offer:
- Outstanding Civil Service Pension
- Flexible hours and homeworking
- Annual Leave starting at 27.5 days (plus Bank Holidays) rising to 32.5 days (plus Bank Holidays) after 5 years
- Option to buy or sell up to 5 days per year of annual leave
- Cycle to work scheme for the purchase of a bicycle and equipment for healthy, low carbon travel
- Access to discounted shopping on a range of retail, leisure and lifestyle categories
Who we are
We are the Met Office, the national meteorological service for the UK. We provide critical weather services and world-leading climate science, helping people make better decisions to stay safe and thrive.
Our services are delivered through exceptional scientific, technological and operational expertise. We have a team of excellent people, working to deliver extraordinary impact, making us one of the most trusted forecasters in the world.
Our values - it's who we are:
- We're a force for good
- We're experts by nature
- We live and breathe it
- We're better together
- We keep evolving
Essential Qualifications, Skills & Abilities
- A basic understanding of Oracle database technology, ideally version 12 and to some extent version 19, potentially including ASM, RMAN and regular database lifecycling.
- A basic understanding of OEM and PostgreSQL pgAdmin console together with some Linux knowledge.
- Great team-working skills and, when appropriate, the ability to work to your own initiative.
- Ability to maintain working relationships with other teams at every level as non-siloed working is essential for the success of the project.
- Capacity to produce and maintain documentation to support installation and troubleshooting for colleagues to follow, together with enthusiasm for "show and tell".
- An enthusiasm to deliver, get involved and take ownership of issues.
Desirable Qualifications, Skills & Abilities
- Programming with Oracle PL/SQL and an understanding of performance tuning.
- An ability to get to grips with day to day PostgreSQL management and an appreciation of upgrades/lifecycling.
- Familiarity with Service Now, JIRA & Puppet.
- Able to work with Office 365 and particularly Sharepoint.
- Willingness to be potentially available out of hours for support call resolution.
To apply, please click on the link below and attach the most recent version of your CV, along with a cover letter which briefly states your experience against each essential and desirable criteria.
Closing date 11/07/2021 with interviews commencing from 25/07/2021 . We update all applicants once the vacancy has closed and applications have been reviewed. At present, all interviews are taking place remotely via Microsoft Teams.