IT Support Engineer (VMWare/Windows Server)
At Motorola Solutions, we create technologies our customers refer to as their lifeline. Our technology platforms in communications, software, video and services help our customers work safely and more efficiently. Whether it’s helping firefighters see through smoke, enabling police officers to see around street corners, or reliably keeping the lights on in homes and businesses around the world, our work supports those who put their lives on the line to keep us safe. Bring your passion, potential and talents to Motorola Solutions, and help us usher in a new era in public safety and security.
The IT Support Engineer is responsible for maintaining the availability and delivery of the Infrastructure within the IT function. This is delivered as part of a 24/7/365 support model underpinning the delivery of all associated services and service levels in line with contractual performance levels.
Please Note this role is a 12 Month FTC with the option to Work From Home.
- Support the operation of IT Infrastructure from the VMWare virtualisation layer up through the Windows operating system and associated applications and tools
- ensuring they are patched in line with support and security requirements
- ensuring they are monitored and managed to meet required performance and capacity levels
- ensuring they are resilient and available to underpin the business defined uptime SLAs
- as a 3rd line specialist, support the diagnosis and resolution of complex technical issues escalated via 2nd line support or directly through analysis of the system performance and behaviour
- Develop existing and new services to meet business requirements
- Propose and develop continuous improvement plans for existing services
- Support the development of operational roadmaps for existing services
- Work closely with other key staff, including the Infrastructure Architect, on the development of new services.
- Support the testing and operational acceptance of new services and service changes ensuring that tests are developed and implemented to allow effective service delivery
- Engage with the immediate team, and more widely as required, on Knowledge Transfer and training activities to reduce risk of individual members of staff being single points of failure
- On-call duty to ensure 24/7 critical cover for IT Infrastructure
- Support and implement the IT development and service management processes, as required, including Incident, Change, Release, Problem and Capacity and Availability Management
- Comply with other corporate policies and processes as defined
- Support the IT Technical Support Manager with Vendor and Supplier technical performance and management reviews
- Act as an external ambassador, representing and promoting UKMS to customers and suppliers through all relevant contact
- Support the production of reports relating to the IT Technical Support team and service performance.
Person - Profile:
- Able to demonstrate the key cultural principles of the Technical Support Office in terms of Collaboration with others, Achieving Service Targets and driving Continuous Improvement
- Self-driven, results-oriented with a positive outlook, keen for new experiences and responsibilities with a clear focus on high quality and operational efficiency.
- A natural forward planner who critically assesses own performance and is proactive and self-driven in achieving goals and objectives.
- Mature, credible, a team player and comfortable in dealing with key stakeholders of the role. i.e. Reliable, tolerant, approachable and determined.
- Empathetic communicator, able to see things from the other person's point of view.
Academic and Technical Qualifications:
- HNC or above in an IT related discipline or substantial relevant experience
- ITIL v3 foundation Desirable
Other technical expertise, experience and knowledge
- Significant experience in the design, implementation and operation of critical IT infrastructure services in an enterprise environment
- Significant experience of developing, deployment and operation of Infrastructure technologies. Key technical skills across 2x posts:
- VMWare Virtualisation (ESXi, vCentre, vROPs, SRM)
- Windows Server (2008 upwards)
- Microsoft technologies including Active Directory, Exchange, Certificate Services, Cluster Services
- Automation and Scripting
- Experience of the broader set of infrastructure technologies such as: Enterprise Storage, Backup, Server Hardware, Databases (e.g. MS SQL, Oracle, DB2, MySQL), Linux Server OS, Loadbalancers, Security (CyberArk, RSA etc) - Desirable
- Extensive industry experience working in Technical Support teams demonstrating an analytical approach to solving complex problems
- Demonstrable ability to identify improvements in Technical Support SLAs e.g. Incident Resolution, Availability Management, Operate and Maintenance etc.
- Good understanding of OSS/BSS Applications such as BMC Remedy, HP Openview, Netcool, Comptel/Mediations Systems etc - Desirable