The Met Office is a global leader in weather forecasting and climate change and recognised as one of the world's most accurate weather forecasters. Our products and services are delivered to a huge range of customers from the UK government, to businesses, the general public, British military, and other organisations. Not only does the Met Office support a huge range of customers with tailored forecasts, we also provide climate science and services to help people and organisations stay safe, well and prosperous.
Supporting this world leading capability is our Met Office College, which has been delivering training for the past 80 years. Today we facilitate learning and development opportunities for all Met Office colleagues, the wider weather and climate community, and commercial customers. We focus on developing workplace performance through the application of skills and knowledge. This is underpinned by learning and development best practice.
The Learning Consultant role
The world of work is changing. We are learning how to do our jobs with a degree of flexibility previously unknown. The challenge for the Met Office College is to sustain its impact on developing workplace performance in ways that enable flexibility and the ever evolving ‘new normal’. The role of Learning Consultant is pivotal to this.
You will embrace:
• new technologies
• a learner-first ethos that maximises the potential of a diverse customer base
• opportunities to constantly evolve
• curiosity and reflection
We can offer:
• Flexible location
• Flexible hours – including part- time
•Temporary and permanent positions
• Development of skills in learning design and delivery
• City & Guilds’ Level 3 Award in Education and Training (AET)
Learning Consultants may have the opportunity to travel to customer locations across the United Kingdom and occasionally overseas
To design, develop and implement meteorological learning solutions that positively impact the performance of colleagues and customers and support the world-leading reputation of the Met Office.
• Design, develop and deliver learning solutions to achieve agreed learning outcomes
• Engage with colleagues and customers to define performance outcomes and advise upon / design learning interventions
• Plan, organise, and manage learning activities and monitor their effectiveness to ensure customer and colleague satisfaction
• Ensure we build on the ‘design once, use many ethos’, and where appropriate, be prepared to record lessons to support self-directed learning
• Evaluate the success of learning interventions with colleagues and customers and implement changes to resource life-cycle plans
• Seek out and recommend developments to learning solutions using an evidence-based approach
• Develop scientific / operational experience and customer insight and intelligence and ensure this is pulled through into learning resources to uphold the currency and relevance of College training. Build customer and stakeholder relationships which enhance our reputation and increase opportunities for future business and collaborations
Essential Qualifications, Skills & Abilities:
1. You have a depth and breadth of experience in professional meteorology, allowing you to maintain credibility with a wide range of learners
2. You have a passion for personal and professional self -development and helping others to learn
3. You have strong oral and written communication skills, with a proven ability to empathise and engage with a range of audiences when communicating complex information
4. You are outcome focused and able to deliver both independently and collaborate as part of a team
Additional Supplementary Information:
To apply, please click on the link below and attach the most recent version of your CV, along with a cover letter which briefly (no more than two-pages) states your experience against each essential and desirable criteria.
Key Dates: Closing date 03/01/2021 with interviews expected on or around 14/01/2021. Please note that you will be notified if you are successful or unsuccessful.
Should you be offered an interview, please be aware there may be a selection exercise which could include a presentation, written test or a scenario-based activity. If you require any reasonable adjustments during these exercises, please include this information in your application.
At present, all interviews will take place remotely via Skype.
Please note, when joining the Met Office all new employees will start on the salary band minimum.
This role will nominally be based in Exeter HQ, but we will consider applicants wishing to work elsewhere within the UK
This recruitment post is not offering UK Visa and Sponsorship and therefore requires all applicants to be eligible to work within the UK / EU without restriction. If you are a non–EU candidate, you will be required to provide and attach all relevant eligibility documentation to your application at the time of applying.
Please note that successful candidate/s will be required to satisfactorily undergo security clearance checks. This will generally require the candidate to have lived in the UK for at least three out of the last five years, but applicants not meeting thiscriteria may be considered.
We recognise that Great Minds Don’t Think Alike. Consequently, the Met Office is committed to working towards being a more diverse and inclusive organisation and to valuing and utilising visible and invisible individual differences. This includes continually striving to create a positive and open environment in which to work, along with ensuring that there are no barriers implicit in our policies or procedures preventing people from performing to the best of their ability. We are a“Disability Confident” employer, Mindful Employer, and we hold an Athena Swan Bronze award for our work on gender equality. We are proud to have a variety of staff-led networks who constantly work with us to enable everyone to fulfil their full potential. We are taking measures throughout our Recruitment process to tackle unconscious bias, and we apply the Civil Service Code to ensure that everyone is recruited on merit, fairness and open competition.