Legal Counsel - International
We’re Bulb, an independent and technology-led renewable energy supplier. By providing 100% renewable electricity and 100% carbon offset gas, we’re making energy simpler, cheaper and greener for our members. With over 1.5 million members, we have recently been ranked #1 start-up in London and topped the ranks of the UK’s fastest growing companies. We're also the first and only UK energy supplier to achieve B Corp status.
We now operate in the UK, France, Spain and Texas and are looking for a pragmatic and collaborative lawyer to join our expanding international legal and regulatory team.
The role will focus on helping our international teams establish Bulb in each of their countries and scale – ensuring that as we move from a start-up to a global Group, we do so in a sustainable way that mitigates risks. You will provide legal advice on a diverse set of topics including data protection, employment matters, energy regulation, reputation, litigation, SaaS and other commercial contracts.
We’re looking for someone who is excited by Bulb’s mission, passionate about technology, a team player with a sense of humour, who enjoys solving complex problems and can mitigate risk in a fast growth company.
What you’ll do at Bulb
You will be the second legal hire at Bulb. You will:
- advise international teams based in Texas, Spain and France on how to establish their business models and grow
- help UK teams set up new international offices
- work collaboratively with other Bulb legal counsels to ensure that international businesses operate to the same standards as the UK business (e.g. in data protection and information security, supplier management)
- advise on a wide range of contractual arrangements (e.g. SaaS, direct sales marketing, wholesale energy, employment and media agency agreements)
- be involved in new innovation projects (e.g. electric vehicle charging trials for members)
- develop and help implement international privacy standards
- advise on IP, commercial, corporate and marketing matters
- proactively assess legal risks and advise on Bulb products, helping teams develop them with data protection in mind
- understand current and future legal and regulatory requirements, counselling Bulb’s international teams on the application of such laws and regulations (with the help of external counsel where necessary)
- develop precedent documents for teams to use (e.g. service agreements, employment contracts) and establish legal processes so that the legal function and business can work more efficiently
- help build a proactive compliance culture across Bulb’s international offices, by managing relationships with regulators and other stakeholders, and developing Bulb’s compliance programme (e.g. supplier management, team training etc)
This is a broad role that requires someone who is dynamic and a quick learner. Most in-house roles at this level are narrowly drawn. At Bulb, we want the opposite. Someone who is capable of taking on, and learning about new challenges in international territories, who is culturally sensitive and can interact with a broad range of colleagues and counter-parties, and who is a business partner, not just a lawyer. The role is perfect for someone who wants to be involved in the international expansion of a fast growing technology company and is excited by our mission. With the support of external counsel where necessary, you will be the go to person for legal and regulatory advice for all international offices. This is a truly diverse role and an opportunity to get involved in data protection, commercial, corporate, IP, advertising, or any other legal requirements arising in one of the UK’s most exciting and high-growth businesses.
Here are some of the things we think will be valuable, but we're also open-minded. If you recognise yourself in any of these traits, we’d love for you to send us an application.
- You are a UK qualified lawyer (French or Spanish law qualified too is a bonus) with 4-6 years post-qualification experience
- You speak fluent French or Spanish
- You have experience with technology-led organisations, ideally in consumer-facing businesses
- You have data protection experience
- You have experience in negotiating a range of commercial agreements
- You are collaborative
- You are comfortable working at all levels of the organisation and also keen to roll your sleeves up and get stuff done
- Decisive, excellent judgment, and ability to make smart decisions under tight deadlines in the face of ambiguity and imperfect information
- You have exceptional communication skills, with an ability to make complex regulatory concepts clear to business teams, developers, lawyers and regulators
Bulb cares deeply about helping the technology and energy industries become a more inclusive and diverse place and we work hard to lead by example.
- Be part of a growing technology startup and help shape the future of energy
- Collaborative, flexible, and friendly environment
- Competitive salary, share options, and bonus
- 33 days holiday a year (including bank holidays) and the option to buy up to 5 more
- 12 weeks of full pay for maternity, paternity or adoption leave
- £1000 training budget + 5 days training days per year
- Healthcare, life insurance, and a pension plan with employer contributions
- Cycle to work scheme; activities to improve your mental & physical well being, including office yoga and meditation; monthly team socials
- One month sabbatical leave after your first year
- Tea, coffee, fruit and snacks throughout the day
- Free breakfast on Mondays