We’re Bulb, an independent and technology-led renewable energy supplier. By providing 100% renewable electricity and 100% carbon offset gas, we’re making energy simpler, cheaper and greener for our members. With over 1.5 million members, we have recently been ranked #1 start-up in London and topped the ranks of the UK’s fastest growing companies. We're also the first and only UK energy supplier to achieve B Corp status.
We now operate in the UK, France, Spain and Texas and are looking for a pragmatic and collaborative Legal Counsel to join our expanding international legal and regulatory team.
The role will support Bulb’s regulatory and legal function, helping ensure that as we move from a start-up to a global Group, we do so in a sustainable way that mitigates risks. We’re looking for someone who is excited by Bulb’s mission, passionate about technology, a team player with a sense of humour, who enjoys solving complex problems and can help navigate risk in a fast growth company.
What you’ll do at Bulb
You will be one of the first legal hires at Bulb. You will:
- provide hands-on expertise on privacy, data governance, consumer protection and other product laws and regulations to our engineering, product, design and research teams
- create and provide training and scalable written guidance to teams on how relevant laws and regulations apply to our products and create self-regulatory frameworks in which product teams can operate in
- work with operational and commercial teams to review, draft and negotiate agreements with a wide variety of third parties (including services, advertising, SaaS, direct sales marketing, wholesale energy and employment agreements)
- work collaboratively across the company, including with Growth, Brand and Technology teams, advising them on legal, regulatory and risk considerations in their business areas (such as consumer law, data protection, commercial, corporate and marketing matters and IP) and undertake research into new areas of law or commercial problems
- advise product teams on the structure, contractual documentation and data protection issues involved in new innovation projects (e.g. electric vehicle charging trials for members)
- assist teams to develop and implement international privacy standards
- develop training, policies, internal processes and precedent documents for teams to use and establish processes so that the legal, risk and regulation team and business can work more efficiently
- collaborate with the legal, risk and regulation team to support our growing international offices
This is a broad role that requires someone who is dynamic and a quick learner. The scope and expectations of most in-house roles at this level are narrowly drawn. At Bulb, we want the opposite. Someone who is capable of taking on, and learning about new challenges, someone who is culturally sensitive and can interact with a broad range of colleagues and counter-parties, and who is a business partner, not just a lawyer.
With the support of the Global Legal Counsel and Head of Risk and Regulation, you will be expected to develop a deep understanding of Bulb’s product and business, and have an ability to guide product teams with clear practical advice in a fast-paced environment. You should also have excellent commercial awareness and be able to negotiate agreements with a range of suppliers, advising on related data protection, commercial and corporate issues that arise in one of the UK’s most exciting and high-growth businesses.
Here are some of the things we think will be valuable, but we're also open-minded. If you recognise yourself in any of these traits, we’d love for you to send us an application.
- you are a UK qualified lawyer with 3-4 years post-qualification experience
- you have experience with technology-led organisations, ideally in consumer-facing businesses
- you have experience of working in heavily regulated environments, such as telecoms or banking
- you have data protection experience
- you have consumer protection experience
- you have experience in negotiating a range of commercial agreements
- you have experience advising products teams on how to develop their products with legal and regulatory issues in mind
- you are collaborative, commercial, show attention to detail, are pragmatic and organised
- you are comfortable working at all levels of the organisation and also keen to roll your sleeves up and get stuff done
- you are decisive, exercise excellent judgment, and have an ability to make smart decisions under tight deadlines in the face of ambiguity and imperfect information
- you have exceptional communication skills, with an ability to make complex regulatory concepts clear to business teams, developers, lawyers and regulators
Bulb cares deeply about helping the technology and energy industries become a more inclusive and diverse place and we work hard to lead by example.
We offer some great benefits:
- Be part of a growing technology startup and help shape the future of energy internationally
- Collaborative, flexible and friendly environment
- Competitive salary, share options and bonus
- 25 days’ holiday (excluding bank holidays) with the option to buy more
- 1 month sabbatical leave after your first year
- Training budget, healthcare, life assurance and a pension plan with employer contributions
- Cycle to work scheme
- Free breakfast on Monday