Microbiology Leader / Manager
Primary Location: Port Sunlight R&D (Wirral)
BENEFITS: BUPA, Pension, Bonus, Gym, Staff Shop, Shares
Unilever is one of the world’s leading suppliers of Food, Home and Personal Care products with sales in over 190 countries and reaching 2 billion consumers a day.
Unilever is the place where you can bring your purpose to life through the work that you do, creating a better business and a better world. You will work with the Beauty and Personal Care (BPC) Design teams to create brands that are loved and improve the lives of our consumers and the communities around us. Our Mission: Beauty that cares… for people, society and our planet. You will drive business growth and positive impact on people’s lives by representing the voice of consumers to drive strategies, innovation, marketing campaigns and consumer experiences for some of the most iconic and innovative beauty brands worldwide, like Dove, Clear, Sunsilk, Rexona, Vaseline, Lux, Love Beauty & Planet, and more.
In this role your focus will be on the following key responsibilities–
- Lead the experimental design and evaluation of new preservation technologies across Beauty and Personal Care (BPC) business to ensure products of the future are safe by design from a formulation/preservation and processing perspective, working as part of multi-disciplinary project team.
- To lead the implementation of Regulatory Compliance projects, working with Global and Regional colleagues in R&D and Supply Chain.
- Technical understanding of molecular microbiology, next generation sequencing methods, microbiomic analyses to support business needs working with academic partners.
- To provide decisive judgement on challenges arising that could impact product preservation or sourcing unit hygiene.
- Report and make recommendations on new technical opportunities to stakeholders
- Maintaining strong links and developing networks across multi-disciplinary project teams
- To workstream lead and manage sub-teams’ programmes of work and to drive the skill development of the core microbiology team.
- Microbiological Science background at PhD level in Microbiology with proven applied industrial microbiology experience in a related industry would be preferred however MSc or BSc will be considered with relevant experience.
- Proven experience in applied microbiology, particularly in molecular microbiological or antimicrobial techniques. Knowledge of microbiomics and data modelling to a level where able to discuss ideas with leading experts
- Experienced in the creation, development and implementation of ideas related to microbiology.
- Ability to write scientific papers and reports
- The candidate will be expected to quickly develop a working knowledge on predictive modelling techniques and large data set analysis
- Proven microbiological background in similar FMCG business
- Proven experimental design capability
- Excellent IT awareness with proven knowledge of key data tools
- Experience of working with external partners
- Leading technical teams