Microbiology Manager - Preservation and Applied Microbiology
Microbiology Leader Preservation and Applied Microbiology
Primary Location: Port Sunlight R&D
BENEFITS: BUPA, Pension, Bonus, Gym, Life insurance, Staff Shop, Share scheme
Unilever is one of the world’s leading suppliers of Food, Home and Personal Care products with sales in over 190 countries and reaching 2 billion consumers a day.
Unilever is the place where you can bring your purpose to life through the work that you do, creating a better business and a better world. You will work with the Beauty and Personal Care (BPC) Design teams to create brands that are loved and improve the lives of our consumers and the communities around us. Our Mission: Beauty that cares… for people, society and our planet. You will drive business growth and positive impact on people’s lives by representing the voice of consumers to drive strategies, innovation, marketing campaigns and consumer experiences for some of the most iconic and innovative beauty brands worldwide, like Dove, Clear, Sunsilk, Rexona, Vaseline, Lux, Love Beauty & Planet, and more.
Unilever BPC are now looking to invest in Microbiologists to work within the Preservation and Applied Microbiology (PAM team), based at Port Sunlight, Merseyside. We are interested in both graduates and professionals who have experience in Industrial Microbiology.
The PAM team’s role is to ensure products of the future are microbiologically safe by design. The purpose of the team is to provide global technical expertise to support the Global BPC R&D business in partnership with sister laboratories in other parts of the world. Microbiological expertise is provided on formulation and process design, microbiological methods and supply chain hygiene.
In this role your focus will be on the following key responsibilities–
- Lead the evaluation of new preservation technologies across Beauty and Personal Care (BPC) as part of multi-disciplinary project team.
- To drive the future preservation strategy for BPC to ensure Unilever ambitions are fulfilled e.g. brands with purpose, Clean Beauty and fuel for growth.
- To lead the Digital preservation programme for identifying and implementing digital tools to improve efficiency or unlock new opportunities.
- To lead the implementation of Regulatory Compliance projects, working with Global and Regional colleagues in R&D and Supply Chain.
- To provide decisive judgement on challenges arising that could impact product preservation or sourcing unit hygiene.
- Report and make recommendations on new technical opportunities to stakeholders.
- Maintaining strong links and developing networks across multi-disciplinary project teams.
- To workstream lead and manage sub-teams’ programmes of work and to drive the skill development of the core microbiology preservation team.
Key technical skills
- Microbiological Science background at PhD level in Microbiology preferentially with proven applied industrial microbiology experience in a relevant industry however MSc or BSc qualifications will be considered with relevant experience
- Proven experience in applied microbiology, particularly in antimicrobial and knowledge of molecular microbiology and data modelling to a level where able to discuss ideas with leading experts
- Experienced in the creation, development and implementation of ideas related to microbiology
- Ability to write scientific papers and reports
- The candidate will be expected to quickly develop a working knowledge on predictive modelling techniques and large data set analysis
Ideally skills in:
- Proven microbiological background in similar FMCG business
- Proven experimental design capability
- Excellent IT awareness with proven knowledge of key data tools
- Experience of working with external partners
- Leading technical teams