Networks IT Practitioner
The award-winning Met Office Headquarters in Exeter is home to the most amazing facilities and world-class employees who are impacting lives on a daily basis with their contributions. Innovative and cutting-edge (we work with the likes of NASA), this is THE place to work in the South West. Modern gym, sports clubs and societies, onsite parking, restaurant and cafe, coming to work each day will make you feel challenged, fascinated and rewarded. Other benefits include:
• Annual Leave starting at 27.5 days (+ Bank holidays) rising to 32.5 days.
• Flexible working hours available to promote work/life balance.
• A choice of pension schemes, so you can plan for your future.
• Extensive career development/promotional opportunities.
• ‘Cycle to Work’ scheme to enable affordable, healthy travel.
• Many more benefits including healthcare plans and childcare schemes.
As a Network IT Practitioner you will work with cutting edge technology, helping to keep Met Office employees and contractors connected both internally and to the outside world, supporting our world-leading scientific capabilities. You will support, manage and develop the network and telephony infrastructure required by the Met Office to provide services to its customers.
- Install, document, maintain and troubleshoot networking equipment.
- Assist in the supervision of network engineering works at Exeter HQ and remotely.
- Respond to and resolve incidents, investigating and diagnosing complex network problems, working with users, other technical staff and suppliers as appropriate.
- Implement changes as required by the business to meet the demands of systems delivery, including switch, content switch and firewall configuration.
- The maintenance of local and wide area networks for communication of data, voice, text and images.
- Work closely with experts and lead network specialists within the Met Office.
Essential Qualifications, Skills & Abilities:
- Fast learner with an aptitude for quickly understanding and solving problems and knowing when to seek help.
- Effective planning, communication with users and colleagues.
- A real enthusiasm for working in IT, ideally with experience of networking technologies.
- A drive to develop your skills.
Desirable Qualifications, Skills & Abilities:
- Technical support experience.
- Proven enterprise networking technical ability.
- An understanding of ITIL concepts, particularly change and incident management.
- An understanding of network security and a demonstrable knowledge of firewalls, secure access and secure configuration.
Additional Supplementary Information:
To apply, please click on the link below and attach the most recent version of your CV, along with a cover letter which briefly (no more than two-pages) states your experience against each essential and desirable criteria.
Key Dates: Closing date 22/11/20 with interviews expected W/C 07/12/20. Please note that you will be notified if you are successful or unsuccessful.
Should you be offered an interview, please be aware there may be a selection exercise which could include a presentation, written test or a scenario-based activity. If you require any reasonable adjustments during these exercises, please include this information in your application.
At present, all interviews will take place remotely via Skype.
For operational reasons this post will be based in Exeter.
We recognise that Great Minds Don’t Think Alike. Consequently, the Met Office is committed to working towards being a more diverse and inclusive organisation and to valuing and utilising visible and invisible individual differences. This includes continually striving to create a positive and open environment in which to work, along with ensuring that there are no barriers implicit in our policies or procedures preventing people from performing to the best of their ability. We are a “Disability Confident” employer, Mindful Employer, and we hold an Athena Swan Bronze award for our work on gender equality. We are proud to have a variety of staff-led networks who constantly work with us to enable everyone to fulfil their full potential. We are taking measures throughout our Recruitment process to tackle unconscious bias, and we apply the Civil Service Code to ensure that everyone is recruited on merit, fairness and open competition.
This recruitment post is not offering UK Visa and Sponsorship and therefore requires all applicants to be eligible to work within the UK / EU without restriction. If you are a non–EU candidate, you will be required to provide and attach all relevant eligibility documentation to your application at the time of applying.
Please note that successful candidate/s will be required to satisfactorily undergo security clearance checks. This will generally require the candidate to have lived in the UK for at least three out of the last five years.