Observations Project Manager
Salary will start at £30,325with opportunities to progress within the role up to the maximum of £33,260
Observations are fundamental to almost all the services the Met Office provides – as direct data and products; initialising Numerical Weather Prediction and other models; for verification of forecasts; and the basis for many weather/climate related consultancy services; and for providing evidence of climate change. By using state-of-the-art weather instruments we extract as much information from the atmosphere as possible.
As a Project Manager, you’ll help keep our all-important Observations infrastructure ahead of the game. Working in a creative and diverse environment, you will be driving new developments and making things happen. Technology could range from radar systems through to surface instruments and upper air sensing probes. From researching and managing the implementation process of new instruments, to co-ordinating the upgrade of existing technology, the role is varied and dynamic. You will help to deliver medium risk projects, using agile (DSDM Atern) or classic waterfall (Tailored PRINCE2) as necessary.
We’re looking for someone with the experience to deliver projects on time and on budget without compromising on quality. We are committed to training and development and have a clear career path for the right candidate.
Met Office employees benefit from:
- Annual Leave of 27.5 days (+ 8 Public and Bank holidays), increasing to 32.5 after 5 years.
- Flexible working hours to promote work/life balance.
- Extensive career development opportunities.
- ‘Cycle to Work’ scheme to enable affordable, healthy travel.
- Free car park.
- On-site modern, fully functional gym + classes.
- On-site restaurant, shop and café.
- Many more benefits including healthcare plans
You will be overseeing every step of the project lifecycle: whether you’re agreeing deliverables, managing budgets, monitoring resource requirements or liaising with internal or external stakeholders, you’ll remain customer focused in all that you do.
- Agree requirements, identify deliverables and plan the activities needed to deliver the required outcomes, using professional project management practices and documentation within the Met Office project management framework for medium risk projects.
- Direct and motivate the project teams to ensure successful completion of tasks
- Monitor, verify and forecast project progress and finances, initiating and agreeing corrective action when necessary; understanding the impacts of those actions.
- Build relationships and communicate with all stakeholders, lead on the establishment of appropriate governance arrangements.
- Identify, analyse, evaluate and prioritise risks and help ensure that benefit realisation is monitored throughout the project lifecycle and that plans are in place post-project to ensure continued successful benefit delivery.
- Identify lessons learnt during projects and initiate changes to ensure best practice for future projects
- Report progress to the project board, project executives and senior stakeholders
Essential Qualifications, Skills & Abilities
- Prince2 Practitioner and/or APM (Association for Project Management) Certificate or equivalent project related experience. Experience of Agile is advantageous or demonstrating a desire to undertake training in the future.
- A track record of delivering on time and to customers’ requirements.
- Proven experience of managing a number of medium risk business change projects, from start to finish
- A proven ability to escalate issues and recommend solutions through formal and informal channels to secure a positive outcome.
- Proven ability to co-ordinate multiple activities and work streams, handling shifting demands and priorities, to deliver a customer requirement or business benefit.
- Excellent communication skills, with a proven track record of successful liaison with stakeholders, including third parties such as manufacturers or Public sector organisations.
- Evidence of having managed or played a lead role in a team delivering successful business change
- Experience of using financial reporting and planning tools and of accurate financial management of a project or work package.
Desirable Qualifications, Skills & Abilities
- Knowledge of weather observing systems, including both in situ and remote sensing
- Knowledge of procurement process such as OJEU (Official Journal of the European Union).
- Evidence of mentoring or coaching other team members
Additional Supplementary Information
To apply, please click on the link below and attach the most recent version of your CV, along with a cover letter which briefly (no more than two-pages) states your experience against each essential and desirable criteria.
Key Dates: Closing date 26/05/2019 with interviews expected 10/06/2019. Please note that you will be notified if you are successful or unsuccessful.
Should you be offered an interview, please be aware there may be a selection exercise which could include a presentation, written test or a scenario-based activity. If you require any reasonable adjustments during these exercises, please include this information in your application.
Please note, when joining the Met Office all new employees will start on the salary band minimum.
This role will nominally be based in Exeter but we will consider applicants wishing to work elsewhere within the UK. We will consider full and part time working hours.
Whilst this temporary post is for 1 year, there is the potential for it to develop into a permanent position.
This recruitment post is not offering UK Visa and Sponsorship and therefore requires all applicants to be eligible to work within the UK / EU without restriction. If you are a non–EU candidate you will be required to provide and attach all relevant eligibility documentation to your application at the time of applying.
Due to the nature of the role, this post requires you to gain full security clearance Therefore, in order obtain full clearance you will need to have lived in the UK for 3 years out of the last 5 years.
If you are shortlisted, as part of the interview process you may be required to undertake a work based test / presentation.