Packaging Technologists and Senior Packaging Technologists - Ice Cream & Tea
Primary Location: Sharnbrook- Colworth Science Park
Role Type: Permanent
Business Area: Research/Development
Work Level 1C / 1D
Packaging is a critical function within Unilever. The business spend on packaging exceeds €5.5bn and we partner with the world’s leading packaging suppliers. Our Compass vision cannot be achieved without packaging innovation and technology that will drive growth and, at the same, halve our environmental impact.
The Ice Cream Category will play a major role in meeting our Compass growth and sustainability ambition. Unilever is world leader in Ice Cream with brands like Magnum, Wall’s, Cornetto and Ben & Jerry’s.
You will bring your passion for Ice cream, and enthusiasm to meet consumer and customer needs and trends and use this to shape and deliver brilliant, sustainable, packaging experiences. You will be involved in the design, technical development and scale up of packaging solutions that will change the way we see packaging and help us on our journey to zero waste.
You will have the opportunity to lead PACKAGING development activities across various platforms and ensure project delivery in close partnership across functions (Marketing; Supply Chain; Procurement) as well as key (external) partners and Suppliers.
Working autonomously, the Packaging Technologist is responsible for developing packaging components, ensuring it is fit for purpose. The job holder will support the packaging team in all areas relating to packaging design and development including materials developments, 5S, Supply chain support. The job holder will plan and execute a comprehensive range of technical validation tests, interpret results, prepare reports and communicate results/recommendations to the project team Where relevant, they will join multifunctional project teams to deliver the packaging activities
- Translate consumer insights, technical requirements and business needs into packaging solutions.
- Lead / support packaging development from brief definition through to proving manufacture at scale on innovation, renovation and operational (cost savings, quality, complexity reduction) projects, on time in full, by following best practice in packaging.
- Liaise with packaging convertors and material Suppliers in the development of packaging components.
- To test and validate the technical specification of packaging components.
- Identify and implement potential cost saving activities across the category packaging portfolio.
- To comply with the Unilever Code of Business Principles and all SHE and QA policies, including the support of product claims, risk management and environmental awareness.
We are looking for:
- People with the right attitude, mindset and competencies.
- Enthusiasm and passion for what packaging, innovation and consumer experience can unlock for our brands, business and planet.
- Technical education – in an engineering, science or design subject.
- Working knowledge of a range of packaging materials and technologies (i.e. Rigid Plastics, Flexible, Cardboard)
- Project management and organising experience
- Quick learner, not afraid to take the initiative and be proactive to get things done
- Proven experience in an FMCG company
Hear from our Managers – what do we think of Unilever?
Magnum - Randhir
PLA - Poonam
CDO - Jon