Payroll & Benefits Lead
Bulb is an independent energy supplier that provides 100% renewable energy to homes and businesses across the UK. In 4 years, Bulb has reached over £1.5 billion in annualised revenue and supplies over 1.7 million members.
We have developed a unique model to deliver affordable renewable energy to homes and businesses while, at the same time, giving the best-rated customer service. We achieve this by hiring great people and giving them leverage with great technology.
We are the first and only UK energy supplier to achieve B Corp status. We believe people are ready for an energy company they can feel good about. It’s an exciting time to join as we continue to grow rapidly in the UK, plus we are launching in France, Spain and Texas this year with lots more international expansion in the pipeline.
As the Payroll and Benefits Specialist you'll wear two hats. You'll run the payroll process here in the UK and in our growing international markets from start to finish, working with our external providers and internal stakeholders to ensure our payroll runs like clockwork.
You’ll also own our employee benefits offering. You’ll manage our relationships with vendors, negotiating renewals and ensuring our benefits proposition is market leading so we can continue to attract and retain top talent.
You’ll find ways to make it better at Bulb. You’ll develop payroll processes that we can scale, introduce best practice policies and identify technology solutions to keep us operating in the most efficient way possible.
You'll be a key part of the People team and work closely with our Finance and Risk teams to share your specialist knowledge and support our decision making.
- Manage the growing monthly payroll for our 800 UK team members and four international markets
- Respond to team Bulb queries on payroll, pensions and benefits
- Partner and develop great working relationships with Finance and wider People team members to ensure joint processes are adhered to and work effectively
- Maintain our statutory responsibilities including pensions auto-enrolment, gender pay reporting
- Payroll oversight including payroll forecasting, P11D and P60 production, and supporting audits
- Improve processes and workflows, automating our operations while we scale
- Administer and clearly communicate Bulb’s benefit programmes and any changes to our offering. Increasing engagement and awareness through planned calendar activities across the year
- Lead renewals and contract negotiations
- Manage our relationship with benefits vendors and our outsourced payroll processors
The list below is by no means exhaustive, and we’d like to hear from you if you’re passionate about the role regardless of whether you meet all of the requirements.
- Significant experience running payrolls in the UK and internationally
- Experience administering employee benefits, including negotiating contracts with new and existing providers
- Experience making a significant impact in a fast-growing international company
- Strong analytical skills, financial acumen and attention to detail, with a high level of proficiency in Google Sheets
- Able to communicate effectively cross-functionally and globally in a growing and fast-changing environment
- Detailed working knowledge of UK Employment Law and tax. Previous experience of local employment and tax law in France, Spain and Texas is a plus
- Ability to handle and prioritise multiple tasks and meet tight deadlines
- Excellent problem solving skills and comfortable making quick decisions
- Preferably accredited with a recognised payroll qualification (e.g. CIPP)
- Be part of a growing technology startup and help shape the future of energy
- Collaborative, flexible, and friendly environment
- Competitive salary, share options, and bonus
- 33 days holiday a year (including bank holidays) and the option to buy up to 5 more
- 12 weeks of full pay for maternity, paternity or adoption leave
- Healthcare, life insurance, and a pension plan with employer contributions
- Cycle to work scheme; activities to improve your mental & physical well being, including office yoga and meditation; monthly team socials
- One month sabbatical leave after your first year
- Tea, coffee, fruit and snacks throughout the day
- Free breakfast on Mondays