Performance Test Engineer
At Motorola Solutions, we create technologies our customers refer to as their lifeline. Our technology platforms in communications, software, video and services help our customers work safely and more efficiently. Whether it’s helping firefighters see through smoke, enabling police officers to see around street corners, or reliably keeping the lights on in homes and businesses around the world, our work supports those who put their lives on the line to keep us safe. Bring your passion, potential and talents to Motorola Solutions, and help us usher in a new era in public safety and security.
The ESN Test Organisation is responsible for testing within the ESN Programme. The Test Organisation is a multi-site team, the open position is based in Basingstoke. .
The ESN Performance Test Analyst is required to work within a multi-discipline programme team with responsibility for a broad range of “hands on” testing activities in the Public Safety Communications Services arena, working to challenging timescales.
The role is based in our Basingstoke office during the Mobilisation phase of the ESN Programme. Moderate travel to customer, supplier and satellite locations in the UK will also be required.
The successful candidate will work within a team responsible for specifying, planning and delivering the ESN Performance Test programme. The requirements to be verified during this test programme include technical performance measures such as call set-up delays, message delivery times and system dimensioning parameters. The role will require collaborative working with the UK Home Office, EE and Motorola test, programme and design teams.
The scope of the role will include test planning, analysis, test case definition, execution and reporting.
The key responsibilities of the Performance Test Analyst will vary during the lifecycle of the Project;
- Develop a clear understanding of the System/s under test and programme personnel, methodologies and requirements.
- Assist the Motorola Test Management / Leads in definition and creation of Test Artefacts, including Test Stage Plan, Schedule and subsequent reporting.
- Responsible for in-depth, structured, requirement analysis and subsequent definition of Test Cases.
- Creation of associated scripts and expected results; with a strict requirement focus, ensuring coverage and maintaining traceability.
- Identification and definition of test data requirements; whilst working closely with development teams and suppliers to create and manage said data.
- Execution of Test Cases, ensuring accurate and structured logging of “Issues” (defects) and tracking to a defined resolution status.
- Responsible for the accurate recording test results and compilation, review and distribution of pre-defined Daily and/or Test Stage Completion Reports.
- Responsible for targeted “Issue” (defect) progression; reporting, triage and tracking.
- Adherence to testing timelines, immediately flagging any potential deviation.
- To pro-actively participate within Performance Test workshops and planning sessions; always speaking up with experience based observations on test topics including; automation, environments, test execution, and issue reporting.
● 5+ years of testing experience, comms/engineering focused, potentially within a major telecommunications project environment.
● In-depth working knowledge of public safety Private Mobile Radio/Wireless technologies and techniques.
● Knowledge of various performance and analysis tools ixia, polystar and xcal.
● Understanding of automated test tools and LTE over-the-air network simulators.
● A collaborative approach with in-house and external Programme personnel in troubleshooting / reproducing issues.
● Ability to provide informal support and training in test processes.
● Apply a strong understanding of industry standards and associated test types and select as appropriate.
● Expertise with Iterative development and associated testing processes.
● Experience with creation of regression/re-testing packs - potentially automated.
● Actively contributing to on-going improvement to internal test processes.
● Enthusiasm to work in global environment with people from diverse cultural backgrounds.
● Proven ability to multitask, work toward, and achieve concurrent project goals and thrive within pressured working situations; potentially with only minimal direct supervision, but always within a team environment.
● Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal with the ability to contribute to in-depth discussion on test processes and complex technical subjects.
●Excellent interpersonal and organisational skills.
● A strong understanding of the criticality of customer relationships, delivery focus.
● Good communication skills and confidence to present solutions to potential customers;
● BS, BEng or higher Degree in an Engineering or Telecoms related subject.
● In-depth understanding of public safety voice and data communications solutions;
● Expertise in public safety communications services and command and control systems used by the Emergency Services would be highly advantageous.
● Experienced in the operation and interaction with all modules of the HP ALM (Quality Centre) Test Management tool; ideally v 11 or above.
● iSTQB Foundation Accreditation.
● Expertise in public safety communications services used by the Emergency Services;
● Good understanding of IT Infrastructure needed for communication systems;
● Hands-on experience with Network Analytics Tools.
● Familiarity within Core network Nodes and 4G/LTE Technologies.
● Drive to proactively anticipate, manage and monitor issues.
● Successful at developing and managing relationships with peers and supervisors.
● A genuine, honest team-player, keen to succeed and make a difference within a complex, challenging and ground-breaking programme of work.