Pilot Plant Technologist
Location: Colworth R&D
Business Area: Ice Cream
An excellent opportunity has arisen to join a world leading fast-moving consumer goods (FMCG) organisation. Unilever are looking for a Pilot Plant Technologist at their global ice cream and beverages research & development facility.
The R&D facility is based at Colworth Science Park in Sharnbrook, Bedfordshire, just 40 minutes from Milton Keynes and Northampton, or 90 minutes from London St Pancras. Unilever brands supported from this site include: Walls, Magnum, Ben & Jerry’s, Cornetto, Lipton, PG Tips and many more.
This role is part of an established team of experts that provide process engineering, automation solutions, and pilot scale manufacturing to support new product innovations, plus improvements to value, waste, sustainability and quality.
This role is for a pilot plant technologist, a key role at the heart of the ice cream development facility, responsible for the set-up and operation of the pilot plant and the manufacture of prototype products. You will be part of a team of pilot plant technologists working closely with project teams, process engineers, product developers, maintenance, factories and supply-chain teams, plus external partners/suppliers (e.g. 3PM, Material, Ingredient suppliers, machinery suppliers, process technology and control system suppliers). You will keep up to date with emerging food trends to deliver processes for sustainable new products that delight consumers.
Ice cream manufacturing is an exciting area for the process engineering team. There are complex and varied engineering challenges due to the wide array of product formats and processes involved, such as: mixing; forming; filling; shaping; freezing.
- Support the Pilot Plant Manager and Supervisor as well as Technical Project Leaders with all pilot plant related activities for multiple projects including innovation, renovation, value, quality, and USLP improvement.
- Act as the pilot plant trial operator to ensure safe and On Time in Full (OTIF) delivery of the pilot plant trials. This requires effective and safe planning, design and execution of the trial including: preparation of ingredients and packaging, data acquisition and control preparation, safety checks, operating procedure checks, plus operation of the equipment, troubleshooting, quality checks, product transfers, clean-down and CIP (Clean in Place) operation, safe disposal of waste.
- Support trial leader/lead in construction and dismantling of ice cream processing equipment.
- Plan, prepare and produce ice cream mixes to the specifications given by Technical project leaders.
- Work closely with Process Developers, Technical Project Leaders and supply chain to support the correct design and execution of the trial.
- Support safe working practices in the pilot plant by: assisting or leading machine and task risk assessment, reviewing and upgrading risk assessments and operating practices, and offering advice and guidance to pilot plant users.
- Play an active role in implementing 5S programme and maintaining the condition of the pilot plant to a standard consistent with the vision of a “World Class” facility.
- Good interpersonal skills – team player
- Passion for food, ingredients and technology
- Risk management
- Well organised
- Fluent English
- This position is a physical job which requires a fair amount of manual handling
- Education at GCSE level or higher or equivalent apprenticeship
- Proven experience in the food industry preferable
- Working knowledge of food hygiene practices and regulations
- Basic awareness of Microsoft office suite