Platforms Team IT Practitioner & Senior IT Practitioner
For IT Practitioner Salary will start at £23,673 with opportunities to progress within the role up to the maximum of £ 26,119. Plus a discretionary Market Supplement value of £1,125 and a discretionary long-term incentive plan of £2,000 (subject to periodical review).
For Senior IT Practitioner Salary will start at £30,325 with opportunities to progress within the role up to the maximum of £ 33,260. Plus a discretionary Market Supplement value of £1,125 and a discretionary long-term incentive plan of £2,300 (subject to periodical review).
The Met Office Technology programme delivers innovative technical solutions and support services enabling the delivery of the Met Office’s world-leading science to customers using world-leading technology solutions.
The Platforms team is responsible for managing the operating system and core application software on a large, diverse and challenging estate, including the Met Office business and scientific desktops and a number of operational and corporate server systems. The operating systems are based on Red Hat Enterprise Linux and Microsoft Windows, and the team makes use of a variety of management tools to facilitate support of the estate.
We are looking for two people, one Microsoft-skilled and one Redhat-skilled, to complement the existing team for the duration of a large infrastructure project and beyond into business as usual.
The successful candidates will have the opportunity to develop their skills in several technologies including desktop operating systems on physical and virtual platforms, application packaging and patching, Office 365 administration, Exchange email services, Citrix virtualised applications, web servers, Active Directory, printing and database servers among others.
There are Senior IT Practitioner and IT Practitioner roles on offer and the exact role offered will be dependant on skills and competencies demonstrated at interview.
This is an exciting opportunity to work in a dynamic team delivering support and development services which are essential to the success of the Met Office.
The job holder will develop, build, support and manage IT platforms and applications for use as desktop and server systems to underpin the provision of the Met Office business.
- Support operational platforms by managing the process and undertaking the practice of investigating, identifying root causes and resolving reported problems so that the platforms continue to meet customer requirements throughout their operational lifetime.
- Document developed platforms to ensure that they can be used, supported and maintained throughout their operational lifetime
- Build platforms required for new projects and ensure they meet stated requirements and are fit for introduction into operational use as part of a properly engineered information system
- Maintain an understanding of current and emerging platform technologies and how they may be of use to the Met Office by improving support to the business
Essential Qualifications, Skills & Abilities:
- Experience of managing Windows or Linux systems and a willingness to develop these skills further to manage IT systems in an enterprise environment
- Demonstrate an enthusiasm for working in IT and an ability to solve abstract IT problems and provide efficient and effective solutions in a timely manner
- Show evidence of an organised and structured approach to work
- A proven ability to communicate easily, enthusiastically and professionally with a range of customers
- Good team-working skills and, when appropriate, the ability to work to your own initiative
- An ability to work to demanding timescales
Desirable Qualifications, Skills & Abilities:
- Knowledge of any of the following: RHN, Puppet, Python, shell scripting, networking, configuration management
- Knowledge of any of the following: Active Directory, Citrix XenApp, MS SQL Server, MS Systems Centre Suite, IIS
- Have knowledge of information systems related standards such as ITIL
Additional Supplementary Information:
To apply, please click on the ‘apply’ button below.
Closing date 19/01/2020 with interviews planned for 30/01/2020 & 31/01/2020. Please note that you will be notified if you are successful or unsuccessful.
Should you be offered an interview, please be aware there may be a selection exercise which could include a presentation, written test or a scenario-based activity. If you require any reasonable adjustments during these exercises, please include this information in your application.
Please note, when joining the Met Office all new employees will start on the salary band minimum.
For operational reasons this post will be based at Exeter HQ.
This recruitment post is not offering UK Visa and Sponsorship and therefore requires all applicants to be eligible to work within the UK / EU without restriction. If you are a non–EU candidate, you will be required to provide and attach all relevant eligibility documentation to your application at the time of applying.
Please note that successful candidate/s will be required to satisfactorily undergo security clearance checks. This will generally require the candidate to have lived in the UK for at least three out of the last five years, but applicants not meeting this criteria may be considered.
We are a “Disability Confident” employer, Mindful Employer, with an Athena Swan Bronze award for our work on gender equality and an LGBTi network. Occasional travel in the UK and overseas will be needed, normally with plenty of notice.