Product Specialist SAP UNIX/Linux
Location: Port Sunlight
Business Area: Technology Services / Enterprise Computing
The Product Specialist has responsibility for maintaining and developing multiple IT infrastructure solutions located in multiple locations. They act as a subject matter expert for the technologies which they cover, providing oversight of how those technologies are deployed and used. They must ensure that Unilever’s IT infrastructure solutions are effective and fit for purpose. They must identify changes to those IT infrastructure solutions which could deliver benefits or efficiencies, assess them and where appropriate work with the Engineering Services function to plan their deployment.
This role requires a high degree of collaboration with other Unilever IT groups, including but not limited to EC Capability, EC Estates, EC Design and Advisory, EC PEM, EC Service Management, Communication Services, IDAM, Enterprise Architecture and Information Security. It also requires close working with the vendors of the products used to deliver Unilever’s IT infrastructure solutions.
The Product Specialist is the subject matter expert for IT infrastructure technology building blocks.
- Ensuring that technology building blocks are fit for purpose and meet business requirements. Driving standardisation of the technologies used to deliver those technology building blocks where appropriate.
- Defining requirements, test plans and success criteria for new IT infrastructure capabilities. Reviewing delivery of those new capabilities by the Engineering Services function.
- Maintaining Roadmaps for technology building blocks, which detail how they will be kept current for software and hardware and new features which will be assessed and deployed where appropriate.
- Producing and maintaining designs for technology building blocks, which detail how they should be deployed, managed and expanded.
- Being aware of the latest Information Security Policy and Standards Framework. Ensuring that technology building blocks are compliant.
- Owning CMDB data for technology building blocks and ensuring its compliance with policy.
- Understanding the Total Cost of Ownership for technology building blocks. Sharing this data in a format which is usable for other teams.
- Reviewing, assessing and where appropriate approving proposals for the optimisation of Unilever’s IT infrastructure estate, which are made by the Engineering Services function or by EC Estates.
- Setting and maintaining monitoring, alerting and reporting standards for technology building blocks. Working with the Engineering Services function to agree how those standards should be delivered.
- Setting and maintaining a standard for Baseline and Patch Management, which details a baseline to follow for each technology and how patches should be assessed and deployed.
- Advising on changes to technology building blocks which might be required to address an Incident or Problem.
- Advising on changes to technology building blocks which might be required to meet the needs of a project.
- Identifying risks related to technology building blocks. Maintaining an awareness of the overall level of risk for individual technology building blocks. Working with the Engineering Services function to agree mitigation plans for those risks. Ensuring delivery of those plans by the Engineering Services function.
- Contributing to ongoing improvements in team ways of working.
- Developing and maintaining key processes and documentation.
- Encouraging cross team communication to ensure a good working relationship between teams.
- Providing weekly updates on team achievements, risks, issues and improvements.
Technical capability in a relevant technology, ideally in a large enterprise environment.
- Responsibility for Enterprise class IT infrastructure with a large, global user base.
- Oversight of delivery of IT infrastructure by 3rd party suppliers.
- Working with teams of technical personnel in multiple global locations.
- Setting future direction for IBM virtualised POWER systems running AIX/DB2 and x86_64 Platforms running SUSE Linux.
- Designing and supporting the deployment of x86_64 virtual instances in cloud running SUSE for SAP Applications, including Pacemaker cluster, SBD devices, NFS clusters/Azure NetApp files.
- Automation of post build and estate management via SUSE manager and SALT.
- Experience with hosting SAP applications on UNIX/Linux – Java and ABAP stacks and SAP HANA.
- Effective communication and influencing.
- Working as part of a regional/global/virtual team.
- Writing complex technical documentation.
- Solution evaluation including risk / benefit / commercial assessment.
- External vendors – HCL, IBM, Microsoft, SUSE, Microsoft, NetApp, Commvault, DELL/EMC.
- EC Estates & Environments
- EC Design and Advisory
- EC PEM
- EC Service Operations
- EC Engineering Services (HCL)
- Communication Services
- Information Security
Please apply online and add your PDP if possible. Your application will be reviewed against our requirements and we will be in touch to provide you with an update on the status of your application.
By applying for this vacancy, you are confirming that you have made your Line Manager aware of your application and that you are at a point in your career with Unilever where it is appropriate for you to be applying for other positions.