- £85,365 - £97,924 per annum
- Total reward package, including a generous pension, of circa £129K for those starting on midpoint of salary scale
- For operational reasons, this post will be mainly based at our Exeter HQ, with some flexibility due to ongoing reviews around workplace requirements
- A relocation package is available
We are in the process of restructuring senior leadership at the Met Office, aligning to deliver our strategy and implement a new operating model across the organisation.
This is an exciting opportunity to join the Executive Team at the Met Office. Reporting to the CEO, you will work with them to deliver the business strategy.
Additional Supplementary Information:
The application process includes your CV and a concise personal statement evidencing your skills and experience stated in the job description.
Key Dates: Closing date 7/07/2020 with interviews expected W/C 27/07/2020. Details will be sent to shortlisted candidates prior to their interview.
Please note that you will be notified if you are successful or unsuccessful. Selection process may include psychometrics, a stakeholder engagement event, presentation and panel interview.
At present, all interviews are taking place remotely via Skype.
This recruitment post is not offering UK Visa and Sponsorship and therefore requires all applicants to be eligible to work within the UK / EU without restriction. If you are a non–EU candidate, you will be required to provide and attach all relevant eligibility documentation to your application at the time of applying.
Please note that successful candidate/s will be required to satisfactorily undergo security clearance checks. This will generally require the candidate to have lived in the UK for at least three out of the last five years.
We recognise that Great Minds Don’t Think Alike. Consequently, the Met Office is committed to working towards being a more diverse and inclusive organisation and to valuing and utilising visible and invisible individual differences. This includes continually striving to create a positive and open environment in which to work, along with ensuring that there are no barriers implicit in our policies or procedures preventing people from performing to the best of their ability. We are a “Disability Confident” employer, Mindful Employer, and we hold an Athena Swan Bronze award for our work on gender equality. We are proud to have a variety of staff-led networks who constantly work with us to enable everyone to fulfil their full potential. We are taking measures throughout our Recruitment process to tackle unconscious bias, and we apply the Civil Service Code to ensure that everyone is recruited on merit, fairness and open competition.
Helping people make better decisions to stay safe and thrive
- The Programmes Director will shape transformative change across the business to deliver the strategic capabilities to meet its ambition.
- To deliver a variety of different types of programmes i.e. consultancy, research, design and build and dismantling.
- Successfully leading delivery of transformational change management programmes whilst ensuring delivery of services on time, to quality standard and to budget.
- Be an active member of the Executive Board setting and overseeing delivery of strategy for the whole Met Office.
- Build the capability of the organisation in the delivery of portfolios, programmes and projects
- Ensure the delivery of strategic Portfolios and Programmes such as HCCP, Supercomputer, and transformational programmes.
We are very proud of our values and seek applications from candidates who share them:
- We’re a force for good
- We’re experts by nature
- We live and breathe it
- We’re better together
- We keep evolving
Essential Qualifications, Skills & Abilities:
- Experience of leading and delivering large scale programme activity, at executive level, in a complex and multi-stakeholder environment.
- Experience in managing and shaping a wide multi-million pound portfolio.
- Track record in leading science and engineering programmes through challenging times.
- Working internationally (such as DFID programmes)
- Experience with various aspects of intellectual property.
- Strong delivery focus, able to interpret data to create and present evidence-based insight.
- A proven track record at executive level in change management and capable of balancing both strategic, tactical and operational priorities at pace, with resilience to sustain the strategy, often through high levels of ambiguity and organisational change.
- Portfolio and programme management e.g. MoPortfolios or equivalent relevant knowledge.
- General management at Master level or equivalent experience.
- Proven track record of managing a significant budget (£200M +) within agreed limits and extensive knowledge of corporate budgeting and financial processes including delivery of cost reduction/ efficiency programmes.
Desirable Qualifications, Skills & Abilities:
- Working within Meteorological services.
- Cross sector experience - working with or across different sectors and/ or organisations.